2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help, Locked in Park

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2015 | 12:34 PM
|
pappyam is on a distinguished road
Default Help, Locked in Park

So, I went to pick up some stuff in the US this morning. As the customs officer gives me my passport, I come to shift into drive and, I can't. I am stuck in park. I am trying everything I can think of but, no go. Every time I push on the shifter button, I can hear a ticking sound coming from the steering column but, it will not shift. I finaly push on the emergency brake and then pull on the brake lever and it shifts into drive. Needless to say I kept it in neutral and applied the parking brake when I had to leave the truck untill I got back home. Now, my 97 Jimmy is in my driveway and stuck in park. Is there a relay in the column? I can hear a ticking noise which should mean it is ok if there is one. What do you think is the problem?
Don

Old 11-15-2015 | 12:36 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road

So... you have tried holding the wheel all the way to the left?

My manager did that to an old lady's Buick in the lot. We were ready to call a tow.

Try holding the wheel ALL THE WAY TO THE LEFT, AS FAR AS IT CAN GO and let us know if the shifter moves. Foot all the way on brake, duh.

Old 11-15-2015 | 12:41 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Check all the wires coming from the brake light switch, there could be a broken wire that is preventing it from being shifted from park.

Old 11-15-2015 | 01:55 PM
|

No go with turning the wheel and no cut wires. There is a lot of noise coming from the column when I push on the shift button. Am wondering if this has anything to do with the ignition switch as I know that it's going south?
Don

Old 11-15-2015 | 03:01 PM
drwyczalek is on a distinguished road

Try this WITHOUT starting vehicle turn the key just pass steering wheel lock position (without dash lights coming on) then you should be able to pull the gearshifter down into neutral and be able to start it. It sounds like you have a problem with the gearshift interlock system which works through the brake light switch i would also check you may not have any brake lights also.

Old 11-16-2015 | 06:39 AM
|

I played with the tilt steering a few times and now, it seems to be working fine which tells me I might have a pinched wire in the column. I guess I will have to pull the plastic and check it out. Thanks' guys.
Don

Old 11-17-2015 | 11:10 AM
|

Unfortunately, the problem persists and I don't have time to rip the back or underside of the dash. Was stuck in a parking lot this morning. I did notice that when the problem happens, I have no turn signals, The 4 way works but not the flashers. When I got to where I was going, I put it in park instead of neutral and sure enough, it locked on me. After playing with it for close to an hour, I decided to take the flasher fuse out to see if it was blown but it was ok. After reinsertion, the flashers worked and I could shift out of park again. So, does anyone know if the flasher circuit has anything to do with the interlock? I see in the wiring diagram that it is also connected to the park neutral position switch on the tranny. Don't know if that would have anything to do with it!! BTW, I did try to turn the key just pass steering wheel lock position but could not get gearshift to unlock.
Don

Old 11-17-2015 | 06:47 PM
Toocute350 is on a distinguished road

I can bet you have a problem underneath your dash somewhere`s or brke switch area

Old 11-18-2015 | 05:45 AM
LannyL81 will become famous soon enough

Going to have to find the time to get under the dash and into the steering column. Could be as simple as a loose connection on the igntion switch connector or the ignition switch itself is failing (not referring to the lock cylinder).

Old 11-18-2015 | 07:27 AM
|

Well, everything looks fine under the dash. I checked it yesterday and I don't see any broken wires. I know for a fact that the ignition switch is on its way out because I had transmission codes pop up a while back. Torque converter would not lock up and it would not shift in high gear so I jumped the fuse to get power till I find time to replace it. I did remove the flasher fuse yesterday to check and it locked in park. The fuse was corroded so cleaned it up and was working again. I popped the fuse a few times and every time, it would lock up in park so, that circuit must be connected with the interlock somehow. I was hoping not to have to order the switch till next spring but, I guess I will have to fork the $$ for a new one.
Don

Quick Reply: Help, Locked in Park