2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help Needed after Pitman Arm Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2010, 08:51 AM
Beginning Member
wings4kites is on a distinguished road
Default Help Needed after Pitman Arm Replacement

So I replaced the pitman Arm on 1995 Blazer (4WD), starting with steering wheel straight and wheels straight. I aligned (thought I did), the Pitman Arm to the shaft same as the old one was taken off (knowing there are four flat spots on shaft/arm; the latter which are critical to proper reoplacement in conjunction with the flat spot on the inpit shaft that connects to the steering column shaft. Anyway, now that I reassemble the steering box, when I bolt on the steering box to frame lined up with steering column and flat spot of input shaft; to drop the end into the steering linkage causes the wheels to point out as though doing a slight left turn. Since everything (Pitman Arm to steering box in relation to input shaft flat spot in trelation to steering wheel), was same going on as aligned coming off, the wheels should again be point straight but are not. I have removed the pitman arm and tried several variations of locating it to the steeing shaft in relation to the flat spot on inut shaft, none which works. Sine the flat spots on the pit arm are at every 90 degrees, I do not understand hnow this can be assembled other than how I originally measured & marked the originals before removal. Any thoughts would be very much appreciated. (Note! With pitman arm attached to steering box point to rear of vehicle, its center line is near parallel to left side of steering box while the flat spot of input shaft of steering box is to the outside left of vehicle.

Old 05-16-2010, 10:54 PM
Starting Member
Mark_D is on a distinguished road

I'm in the same boat...replaced the pitman and idler today and the wheel is cocked 45 degrees when the wheels point straight.

I'm guessing, since we both re-aligned everything, that the old parts had worn and settled into a lopsided stance...now straight parts make things look crooked. I'll know in a few days after I get everything aligned.

Either way, it definitely steers better than it used to.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
Beginning Member
wings4kites is on a distinguished road
Default Pitman Arm Replacement

Well found out the problem... It's becaus ethe Pitman Arm, MADE IN CHINA, and only One Year Warranty; is at fault becasue the splines are one or more degrees off center. So I wnet and bought another Pitman Arm (MADE IN USA), lifetime warranty (about 2.5 times as much); put that in and the wheel s aligned good and the steering wheel is now straight as well. With the China made Pitman arm installed, Alignment could not be done that would allow a straight steering wheel while wheels are straight. Buy a quality Pitman arm made in USA and you'll find that this cures the problem.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 AM
Starting Member

My parts are from Napa and made in the USA, and the wheel is still crooked. It is at the shop right now for an alignment, so I'll let you know whether or not they just compensate using the tie-rod ends and if that works. Fingers crossed...

Alignment shop called and said they can't do the alignment. The wheels are off (toe, not camber, i think) by 2.5 and 3 degrees. As I said the steering wheel is off by 45 degrees when the wheels are straight.

I am pretty sure that everything was aligned properly, but traced this to 2 causes. Please read below and tell me which you think is most likely. thanks!

1) When the steering box was in the vise and I was removing the nut holding the pitman arm on, the pitman arm may have rotated enough such that it 'bottomed out' and could not spin any further...until the nut came loose. Could that have damaged the steering box hydraulics or something else in there? Also, most of the fluid came out of the steering box while working on it, since the pitmar arm was rotating and pushing fluid out. Could there just be a bubble somewhere inside there screwing things up? I did many cycles of left/right after re-assembly to try to pump out the air though.

2) The steering box input rotates much more than the pitman arm does. coud it be that while the steering shaft and steering box input key up, the s.b. input shaft is rotated one revolution? I'd think this would make a bigger difference than the 3 degrees that the steering is off though.

I should just twist the steering shaft 5 degrees and call it a day haha. I wish, but not really. PLEASE HELP SOON!

Last edited by swartlkk; 05-18-2010 at 11:34 AM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-18-2010, 11:33 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark_D
Alignment shop called and said they can't do the alignment. The wheels are off (toe, not camber, i think) by 2.5 and 3 degrees. As I said the steering wheel is off by 45 degrees when the wheels are straight.

I am pretty sure that everything was aligned properly, but traced this to 2 causes. Please read below and tell me which you think is most likely. thanks!

1) When the steering box was in the vise and I was removing the nut holding the pitman arm on, the pitman arm may have rotated enough such that it 'bottomed out' and could not spin any further...until the nut came loose. Could that have damaged the steering box hydraulics or something else in there? Also, most of the fluid came out of the steering box while working on it, since the pitmar arm was rotating and pushing fluid out. Could there just be a bubble somewhere inside there screwing things up? I did many cycles of left/right after re-assembly to try to pump out the air though.

2) The steering box input rotates much more than the pitman arm does. coud it be that while the steering shaft and steering box input key up, the s.b. input shaft is rotated one revolution? I'd think this would make a bigger difference than the 3 degrees that the steering is off though.

I should just twist the steering shaft 5 degrees and call it a day haha. I wish, but not really. PLEASE HELP SOON!
Since you already posted this in another thread, one which you created, lets leave this one alone. Double posting is against forum rules.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:36 PM
Starting Member

Ok, my bad...I got antsy not hearing anything in the other thread, which was much less browsed.

Since it still applies, I'm going to say how I fixed the problem wings4kites and I had. While you fixed it by replacing the China parts with AMUR'C'N ones, the American ones caused my steering to get all jacked up.

I loosened the pinch bolt holding the steering shaft to steering box input and then turned the steering wheel back to straight-ahead, hearing the clicks as the steering shaft output clicked over the steering box input splines. Then tightened it up.

Driving around, I get equal turning in both directions (about 1 1/4 turns of the steering wheel in each direction) and the car hold a pretty steady line. Now to go get a proper alignment.

I can't see any reason why this would be unsafe, as long as you firmly re-tighten the pinch bolt and everything else is tight.

Old 05-18-2010, 06:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no reason that won't work, nor is there any excuse as to why an alignment tech wouldn't know to do that...

Old 05-18-2010, 10:14 PM
Starting Member

Haha, glad you say that...and glad I'm going to a different garage for the next attempt at having somebody do the alignment.

Ya, I immediately thought of that while the mechanic was saying it would be hours of labor to find the issue. I had it fixed in 15 minutes.