2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

help needed badly

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:50 PM
jermoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help needed badly

i have a 99 blazer and i have a slow anti- freeze leak seams to only do it when the blazer is sitting after being drivin . i have looked and looked but can not find the source

Old 12-07-2006, 07:03 PM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: help needed badly

We need more info.

Where are you noticing the leak? As puddles on the garage floor? Inside the cabin? Where?

If you can't find the source, at least eliminate possible sources.

Is your radiator wet? Hoses wet?

My water pump gave up last weekend. It's hard to see, being well buried on the front of the block. Was leaking from the weep hole, though I couldn't see that until I had done some disassembly. Took me about 6 hours to R/R it. May not take others as long. The info on "how to" is on this site if ya need it. It saved my a$$.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:04 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I also have one. If you smell it outside, it's usually either a bad water pump that's starting to dribble or an intake manifold gasket leak, usually at the driver's side front corner of the manifold. It can be very hard to spot the leak.

If it's the water pump, that's not a big deal to DIY, but make DARN sure you have the special tool needed to remove the fan clutch from the front of the water pump before starting. The old pump will NOT come out of the car unless you remove the fan clutch before taking the pump loose. Been there, got screwed by that.

I recently replaced intake manifold gaskets on a '97 Blazer and I'm hoping I can wait till spring to do it on my '99. My write-up on the procedure is in the DIY thread on this site if you need it. Expect it to take 15-20 hours' labor if you're a first-timer doing this. A shop will charge about $450-$500, and it's well worth it if you're not fairly experienced with automotive work.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:07 PM
jermoon is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: gizwilly

We need more info.

Where are you noticing the leak? As puddles on the garage floor? Inside the cabin? Where?

If you can't find the source, at least eliminate possible sources.

Is your radiator wet? Hoses wet?

My water pump gave up last weekend. It's hard to see, being well buried on the front of the block. Was leaking from the weep hole, though I couldn't see that until I had done some disassembly. Took me about 6 hours to R/R it. May not take others as long. The info on "how to" is on this site if ya need it. It saved my a$$.
small puddle on the garage floor yes ,when looking under the car a slow drip appears to coming off the skid plate

Old 12-07-2006, 07:13 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Personally I would find the source and fix it, but I do know they make these pebbles you can buy at like Wal-Mart or anywhere that you pour into your radiator and it’s supposedly suppose to stop the leak.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:18 PM
cherryred4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

its probably dripping down out of the weep hole in the water pump if its hitting the skid plate. with the engine off, run your hand from the shaft at the center of the fan back to the water pump and then under the bulge in the pump, you should be able to feel a little hole in the housing. If it is wet, then your water pump bearing is failing.

they make it, but don't use stop leak, or you will be changing your heater core soon as it will collect there

Old 12-07-2006, 09:29 PM
myronhntr80 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have the same prob. If it is dripping off of the skid plate it is almost definatly coming from the radiator itself. It only leaks after the vehicle is shut off after running for a while because the pressure of hot coolant increases after vehicle is shut off and is no longer being circulated by the water pump. I have used Bar's leaks pelletized stop leak a couple of times. it stops the leak temporarily. I now have a new radiator in my garage waiting for me to get another day off to replace it.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:10 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

You can use a small mirror to check under the water pump. If you can't see it dripping you might see the stains from where the leak comes from.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:18 AM

small puddle on the garage floor yes ,when looking under the car a slow drip appears to coming off the skid plate
[/quote]

[sm=exactly.gif] what my 95 did.

Don't go for the "stop leak" stuff...[sm=badidea.gif]

My .02 worth.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:21 AM

ORIGINAL: cherryred4x4

its probably dripping down out of the weep hole in the water pump if its hitting the skid plate. with the engine off, run your hand from the shaft at the center of the fan back to the water pump and then under the bulge in the pump, you should be able to feel a little hole in the housing. If it is wet, then your water pump bearing is failing.

they make it, but don't use stop leak, or you will be changing your heater core soon as it will collect there
[sm=icon_ladiesman.gif]

Quick Reply: help needed badly