2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help the newbie Please!

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2011, 08:53 PM
ddolin is on a distinguished road
Default Help the newbie Please!

Hey guys. The other day i was romping on my 2000 olds bravada with the 4300 vortec. During this time i noticed a smoke in my rearview mirror. When i got home minutes later i checked. I found it was coolant. The next day I applied bars stop leak heavy duty radiator. When i started her up and added coolant it was just leaking out. I noticed there was a channel of coolant on the passenger side lower intake manifold. So I got a fel-pro upper intake kit and put her back together and added coolant only to find that there was still a leak. After I finished i "started" her up and she had a very high idle! I checked the fluids and i saw that COOLANT is mixing with my OIL! I neglected to check all the fluids before I proceeded. opened the petcock on the rad and it was dry. i drained out the contominated oil and let it drip for 3 hours. When i was finished i had 9 qts of contaiminated oil. 4.5 qts oil- 9 qts combined= 4.5 qts coolant in the crankcase. So i changed the put some new oil in and a filter and went to start her and she idled at about 3000rpm then kept on shooting up toward the redline but i shut her off at 4000rpm. Tell me what YOU know and what YOU think I should Do about her. Also my friend brought over his OBDII and we found p0121=throttle position sensor, p0108=manifold absolute pressure high input, and p0101=mass or volume circut performing problem! Thanks alot if you've kept up with me. Im very eager to hear back!
--------------EDIT--------------
Hey guys. Thanks for your replys. I took this puppy apart all the way down to the intake manifold. I found that when I put the lower intake manifold on The passenger side gasket slipped off on 1 side which was causing contomination and a massive vacuum leak! So I inspected the gasket and there was the metal in the center of the gasket was cracked around the coolant passage. Which was probably from contact with the balancer shaft. I put her back together and the snow fell and stuck at the perfect time. These cars are amazing in the snow. Fwd and Rwd stuggle so much during the winter even to get over a small hill, im just at idle and im having to step on my brakes while their spinning their tires.
But the issue I wanted to talk about was that the oil pressure gauge is on the fritz. Its above 80psi which i dont believe. The only thing that changed for the oil was that there was water contomination. let me know your thoughts. thanks guys and keep it safe out there.
--------------EDIT--------------
Gauges are working. I forgot to plug in the sensors on the distributor. They are both right next to eachother. Pretty easy job!

Last edited by ddolin; 02-10-2011 at 11:18 AM. Reason: update
Old 02-02-2011, 04:55 AM
TZFBird is on a distinguished road

Sounds like a big vacuum leak to me. You should probably double and triple check the intake gaskets. Make sure everything is straight. I'm not sure I can understand how just getting on it would blow out a gasket, but anything is possible. If it was overheating I could see that as a cause since it seems to be a theme with these engines.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 AM
ddolin is on a distinguished road

Forget about it overheating cause I drove it 1.5 miles home the night it happened.

Old 02-02-2011, 11:38 AM
chevytruckdood is on a distinguished road

i had firebird with a cracked block that would overheat before you made it once around the block.............but it sure could haul butt doing it