2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

help no start

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2015, 12:29 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Default help no start

ok 2000 zr2 blazer, everything was fine. Put stereo in today and now it wont even turn over, no clicking nothing. Everything else works. Cleaned the ground on the battery and starter connections.

when hooking up battery it tried to start on its own 3 times. It also dings like the key is still in the ignition. possible key cylinder? Fuses are good.

Old 04-04-2015, 01:54 PM
BF Veteran

I got it, kinda strange though. unhooked the stereo power wire from the battery and it started right up. Reconnected and its still good. Weird

Old 04-04-2015, 01:56 PM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

Wow bummer. When you swapped the stereo was it plug and play, same harness and all that?
Sounds like you may have shorted one of the big ignition fuses.
I would start by unplugging all the wirers from the new stereo.
After that check continuity on all fused circuits.
One thing you can do is disconnect the negative battery terminal and let it sit for a bit. Then reconnect making sure every thing you can find is shut off and the new stereo is unplugged. See what happens.

It has got to be something simple.
Jeff.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:25 PM
BF Veteran

Guess you didnt read the second post. all set now. still one kind of weird thing. on and off blinking outside temp gauge and mileage and prnd321 gauge I can hear what sounds like a blinker solenoid behind the gauge cluster

Old 04-04-2015, 06:43 PM
akaSPITTYBAYS is on a distinguished road

Not a clue brother.
If it's making noise needs to be some kind of electro solenoid that's making some kind of circuit contact.

Last edited by akaSPITTYBAYS; 04-04-2015 at 07:43 PM.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:04 PM
bdeturck13 is on a distinguished road

not sure when the blazers started using it, but i know in my camaro, there's a body control module which controls the dash illumination, as well as retained accessory power, which could be failing, and would also have caused the no start, as it also is the controller for an alarm system, and the pass key system controller. the other thing to check would be the "illumination" wire on the stereo harness.... I'd disconnect and cap that line, because it could be shorting causing your dash to dim out

Old 04-05-2015, 09:34 AM
BF Veteran

so now I noticed that when everything is blinking the four way flasher are also. Thinking its the multi function switch

Old 04-05-2015, 03:46 PM

is it a standard flash, like the 4 way relay is energized, or is it some form of rapid/uneven blink?

Old 04-05-2015, 03:52 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by bdeturck13
is it a standard flash, like the 4 way relay is energized, or is it some form of rapid/uneven blink?
standard like 4 ways, but goes off after a minute or so. Maybe less

Old 04-05-2015, 04:55 PM

almost sounds like an alarm system is energizing (flashing parking light circuit).... the mfs shouldn't have any connection at all to the shift selector light or the outside temp circuit. given that your truck is a "newer" version of the 2nd gen, I can only assume that it may have a body control module, which on a lot of vehicles, operates the RAP (retained accessory power), the alarm system (including pass-key), and the DRL (daytime running lamp) module.... almost sounds like there's a short inside of there... i've experienced that on one of my camaro's, and it acted strange in cold weather, only during a cold start... I ended up leaving the key in the "run" position till it got stable, and then it would allow me to start... if I tried to crank while it was blinking (which would make the marker lights, interior dash lights, as well as my dome lights all strobe) it would engage the starter kill and wouldn't allow crank. I've also experienced strange things involving those modules in GM's greatest car (*cough, cough*).... a Pontiac Aztek (insert sarcasm here)

Quick Reply: help no start