2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP!!! Overheated and squeeling

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 11:57 PM
Starting Member
96Ls4Dr is an unknown quantity at this point
Default HELP!!! Overheated and squeeling

I just got back from driving and on the way home I started to overheat(it does this time to time) so I did what normally gets it back down to normal(floor it)
Nothing happened, then my heat went out. It never went into the redline on the temp gauge. I got home with squeeling belts and poped the hood... smoke everywhere and everything is covered in coolant.

What happened?
Did the waterpump go out? Other things to look for?

Old 04-05-2007, 01:02 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: HELP!!! Overheated and squeeling

coolent hoses maybe one ruptured or came loose, your thermostat mgiht be broken. check the radiator for cracks/leaks. look at the pump itself for cracks/leaks

if your car overheats you need to find out y not just ignor it untill something like this happens. "its always cheeper to fix it sooner."

Old 04-05-2007, 01:03 AM
hyperionmax2003 is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a guess, but I'd say your heater core went out.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Starting Member
woodsballr is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm no mechanic so take the proverbial grain of salt with what i say here. (hope i got that right) if it didnt redline then youwere probablystill circulating coolant so it might not have been your thermostat. of course my thermostat went and my engine barely ever got warm. so i don't think it was that, plus it's not real fun to replace, not hard just plain ol' not fun. when my heater core went it leaked coolantin thepassenger foot welland there was no smoking or squealing. so i don't think that was it. the simplest explanation is usually true (Occum's Razor i think) and the simplest explanation here is that a hose came loose or cracked so thats where i would check. check your radiator cap, if you can't find anything else you might want to buy a new one just to make sure. check your radiator, and its hoses, and check the hoses coming off the heater core. its on the passenger side right up against the firewall on mine and probably yours too. look for two (2) short copper pipes coming up and out and two (2) hoses coming off, one (1) from each. also mine still leaks a little around where the top radiator hose connects to the engine block, so check the sealaround thatgasket. i'm all out of suggestions now so i'll stop. oh, one more check the cheap and easy stuff first.
good luck.

Old 04-05-2007, 01:22 AM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: hyperionmax2003

Just a guess, but I'd say your heater core went out.
Don't think so... theres no coolant in the car
the heat was working on and off the whole time.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:28 AM
Starting Member
kerander is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it seems safe to say at a minimum that there's a blockage somewhere. Just a matter of finding it then. You could just flush it real good and see what that does, then go from there. Fortunately it seems these engines are not too sensitive to coolantlevel so you can run em almost empty and they'll take it.

Woodsballr has some good info. It's Occam's or Ockham's Razor btw; you obviously get the jist of it.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Starting Member

ok just checked it out.

No coolant anywhere, poured water into the rad and it came out just as fast from the front/center of the engine.

I think its the waterpump... Can anyone varify for me?

Old 04-05-2007, 02:55 PM
Starting Member

ok, from your description it sounds to me like it might be coming out where the top radiator hose connects to the engine block. that connects on the top of the engine, you can just follow the hose from the radiator to it. or did you mean the front part of the engine that faces the radiator? if thats what you meant then it might be the water pump, i don't have a lot of expertise in that area. the more descriptive you are the easier it is for us to help you so try and be as descriptive as possible. and in return i'll try and correctly interpret the information. if don't know where it's leaking at try filling the radiator, if it won't fill, like you seemed to say, then maybe put a water hose in the top and turn the water on then turn on the car and let it run and watch where it leaks from. also i just had a good thought, check the hose clamps that hold on the hoses and make sre they are tight.
last but not least, if i'm just not understanding you right take a picture and post it. make it an attachment though. also there is at least one thread on posting pictures so you can check that out.
thank you kerander for the correction, it just didnt look right.

Old 04-05-2007, 03:53 PM
Starting Member

ORIGINAL: woodsballr
or did you mean the front part of the engine that faces the radiator? if thats what you meant then it might be the water pump
Thats what I meant. Where all the pulleys are....
I checked all the hoses and clamps and they are all fine.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:44 PM
Starting Member

well my friend we've pretty much reached the extent of my helpfulness. i just went out and looked at mine and the water pump or something realted too it is my best guess too. all i can say is check the water pump and make sure its on there tight, check the gasket, and if all else fails get a new water pump. by all means don't rely solely on my advice, get all the advice you can, there are plenty of people here that know much more than i do and can help you bettter. good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP!!! Overheated and squeeling