2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help please!

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 04:56 PM
shepk-5 is on a distinguished road
Default Help please!

My oo blazer had a problem. When I turned the ignition off the engine would stay running. Had to pull the egn 1 fuse to kill it. Plug back and the lights where it says what gear it is in would stay on. Brake lights stopped working also. Replaced ignition via instructions from chilton, also changed the multi-function lever. Brake lights are fixed. Engine would start and turn off with key after replacing the ignition,but the gear indicator lights stay on all the time,also the odometer. Unhooked battery while gone on a trip,so it wouldnt run the battery down. Now it starts and dies like it has pass lock issues. The security light is not on. I tried the relearn with no luck. Do you think a scann tool will fix the light problem as well as the no start. Any thing I should check before taking to the dealer? Has new fuel filter and pump, changed just before this happened.

Last edited by shepk-5; 07-09-2010 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-09-2010, 09:32 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

It's possible your instrument cluster has issues now which is a difficult thing to test or repair. Try pulling fuse 11 CLSTR in the dashboard fuse panel and see if they go out. If they do then it's better than unhooking the battery, just put it back in before driving it powers the solenoids in your transmission too. Also take a test light and check for power at that fuse when the key is off. There should only be power there in the RUN and START position never when its off or in the accessory position.

Old 07-09-2010, 10:15 PM

I will try this, but I have to get a bulb for my test light first. Also, I forgot to mention that it seems to not have accesory. The new ignition or old. Never could turn it backwards. Is that a problem with the lock cylinder?

Old 07-09-2010, 10:41 PM

Hmmm... When you say you replaced "ignition" what did you replace? I wondered if you had power at that fuse indicating a bum switch. (new doesn't always mean "good") or possibly two adjacent wires melted together. The lock cylinder could cause that problem. Might be the key is getting worn or a bit twisted. Might be the housing is slightly bent. I'll guess and say somethings off but it's sloppy with wear starting the truck but going back towards accessory it's never used so no clearance from wear.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:26 PM

I didnt replace the lock cylinder. I replaced the switch which had the gear and wiring attached.Bought it from auto zone, suppose to be new but the plastic cover that hides the contacts was damaged.I had to wire the green and brown wire up to the old connector. Is this common or should it have had a new one. I found a bulb,pulled the fuse out and the lights went out. Checked for power and sure enough the bulb lit with the key not in the ignition. I just found two speaker wires and another wire tucked in above the bcm. They had just been cut off. I'm guessing the previous owner had an amplifyer. I'll inspect to see if they are wired in to the existing radio or not. A short like that cant be good.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:32 PM

Just had an idea. I have a 98 jimmy for parts,I wonder if the lock cylinder or ignition on it would be the same? Both are 4x4 with 4.3 if it matters.

Old 07-09-2010, 11:59 PM

How long ago did you replace this switch? I'd go back to Auto Bone and get another one 'cause it sounds like you received a faulty one (not just cosmetic damage). Try that first, no guarantees how long a used switch will last anyhow. As to whether a '98 will work, maybe. Ask if you can't get the switch swapped out if it's the same part #. The trucks are fundamentally the same but I dunno about the Passlock feature and if they're compatible. I don't know what year GM went from Passlock to Passlock-2, etc.

Last edited by RonJon; 07-10-2010 at 12:02 AM.