2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Help, Running way too cold!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 PM
Beginning Member
CBlazer99 is on a distinguished road
Default Help, Running way too cold!

Ok, so ever since i've gotten my blazer it only runs one dash above the 100 mark on the dash temp guage. I have castrol syntec, and a royal purple oil filter (the best stuff you can buy) and also a K&N drop in panel filter. Of course these will make the engine run cooler but 120 is pretty insane. How can I solve this my gas milage is down the toilet! Also I use dexcool which I dont know about but I have sensed a bad perception of dexcool around here.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:00 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The type oil and filter you are using have zero effect on the operating temperature of the engine. Neither does the type of coolant you are using. Your problem is probably caused by either a failed engine thermostat or faulty coolant temperature sensor. It would be nice to know what you are driving.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Beginning Member

hahahaha you pretty much just crushed me. I drive a 99 4dr blazer 4.3 auto trans.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:08 PM
Starting Member
bigjon1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I'd say more than likely it is the thermostat. Mine was running about the same temp, I was getting terrible gas milage and lost power. Popped in the new t-stat and fixed everything, runnin about 210 now.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I got the same thing happening to my truck lately. My temps read different cause I have the Canadian version. When I first got the truck New it ran about the half way point(can't remember what the actual guage says right now) and lately its been running about the quarter mark and slowly as time passes it is getting lower and lower. Im gonna change the thermostat soon as the weather is a little better around here. Too damn cold to do that in the driveway.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:24 PM
Beginning Member

cool cool, thanks guys. now where can I get a new one, how easy are they to install and how much?

Old 01-10-2010, 10:36 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can buy a thermostat at any auto supply store. Be sure to get the 195 degree model and the installation is easy. It's been discussed here before.

Old 01-10-2010, 10:40 PM
Beginning Member

Ok, now I know what im spending my next $20 bill on haha.

Old 01-11-2010, 09:45 AM
Unlimitedsp is on a distinguished road

I had the same problem, Change the t-stat and see if that fixes the problem. In my case i also needed a temp sensor.

Old 01-11-2010, 02:47 PM
Beginning Member

Is there any way someone could give me a DIY on how to do this thing because I cant find anything related to it...

Quick Reply: Help, Running way too cold!