2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HELP snapped thermostat bolt

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2011, 08:32 PM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road
Default HELP snapped thermostat bolt

so i changed plug wires cap and rotor yesterday. i also flushed the rad. and attempted to change the thermostat. i flushed the radiator because it had alot of dexcool crud in it which was cloging the lines. that was easy no problems until i went to take the thermostat off while the system was empty, but i went to remove the rear bolt on the thermostat housing and it snapped off and when i went t remove the front bolt it felt like it was gunna snap so i left it, but now i leak antifreeze out of the thermostat housing. so my qustion is, if i somehow get the front bolt out with out snapping it how can i get the bolt out of the rear? will i have to drill it out and tap the hole? and if i snap the front bolt too will i just be completely screwed and have to buy a new thermostat housing?... this blazerr has just been giving me problems after problems

Old 05-29-2011, 10:05 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

To remove a snapped bolt/stud an easy way is an Easyout. Look for them at a hardware store etc. You'll have to drill a specific sized hole in the snapped bolt & insert the easyout (they go in backwards as to back out the bolt as they tighten). That & lots of penetrating oil WD40 etc. Heat like a torch may help but play safe.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Starting Member
stlwaco is on a distinguished road

Easy with the torch, Don't wanna warp the intake.

Old 05-29-2011, 11:16 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by stlwaco
Easy with the torch, Don't wanna warp the intake.
hence the "play safe"

Old 05-30-2011, 09:46 AM
Starting Member

k guess i give it a try how much does an easy out tool cost abiout?

Old 05-30-2011, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran

Not sure, call hardware stores, look online etc. I'm guessing for a good set of 4 (different sizes) could be around $20

Old 05-30-2011, 12:45 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Be extraordinarily careful with your easy out. Snap that baby off in the bolt/hole it can get really interesting. Try getting some good penetrating oil soaking those bolts while your tracking down the easy outs.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:28 PM
Starting Member

havent tried getting the bolt out yet, but my truck is leaking antifreeze alot. more than what is/whould be coming out of the thermostat. i cant seem to trace the leak down yet but is dripping down the middle of the oil pan but is flowing from somewhere else. also my cooling fan turns on as soon as start the truck and does not turn off . my guess is water pump i hope and not intake gasket

Old 06-01-2011, 08:34 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Charder
havent tried getting the bolt out yet, but my truck is leaking antifreeze alot. more than what is/whould be coming out of the thermostat. i cant seem to trace the leak down yet but is dripping down the middle of the oil pan but is flowing from somewhere else. also my cooling fan turns on as soon as start the truck and does not turn off . my guess is water pump i hope and not intake gasket

Isn't it a mechanical fan? they always turn when the engine is running...

I would first deal with the thermostat, having one bolt can create a pretty massive leak. I would do the easy out thing, and don't use WD40, use a good penetrating lube. WD40 isn't that good as it's not what it was made for...

ATF and acetone mixed together works great as a penetrating lube

Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 69chevelle
Isn't it a mechanical fan? they always turn when the engine is running...

I would first deal with the thermostat, having one bolt can create a pretty massive leak. I would do the easy out thing, and don't use WD40, use a good penetrating lube. WD40 isn't that good as it's not what it was made for...

ATF and acetone mixed together works great as a penetrating lube
did not know that about the fan , so thanks. and i just dont see that mucjh fluid coming out of the thermostat housing, atleast not as much as thats pouring out of the bottomw of my truck

Quick Reply: HELP snapped thermostat bolt