2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

HElP very strange fuel issues on 98

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Um... So the person who did the programming made it so it could not be read by an OBD2 scanner...? If even possible, that would be very stupid.

So what exactly has been modified on this truck. Might be nice to know.

As far as the upper plenum cover, it is likely the fuel injection spider that is not releasing from the cover.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM
Location: Eternia in the winter and Metropolis in the summer.
burningsun is an unknown quantity at this point

as far as modifications done its not much the exhaust is cat-less with a bigger pipe from where the cat should be and back. Headers where ment to be put on later, haven't yet going with 5.3 v8 swap more power better mpg and i can get them with computer for $450. and the solid axle dana 44 swap is cheaper than the 6 inch lifts for the IFS. OK ANYway the programing done was a remapping, top speed limiter off. Ok the O2 sensor that is post catalytic converter triggers the check enginge because there is no cat anymore thus throwing off the O2 sensor and needs to be blocked off or something for it to read right. thats about it as far as modifications. About lifting the intake cover off, do i just keep pulling up till it gives?

Old 04-11-2009, 09:27 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

What brand fuel pump did you install? New fuel filter at the same time? I am assuming there is no check engine light or stored codes. Sure sounds like fuel pump is having issues... Are you sure the new electrical connections at the pump were made up good?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:16 PM

new fuel filter the pump i can't tell what brand it its. its a fairly cheap pump i got on ebay. i have a warranty for a year like all the other pumps. I'll check the connections tomarrow, I'm cleaning the intake also. install the fuel pressure regulator. The only thing I can tell is that the fuel pressure is lower than 50 when it doesn't want to run. drops to 25 or 30 when it won't run. if you continue to try and start it will slowly rise up it kinda gets stuck around 40- 45. eventually it will reach above 50 and then it'll run, For how long sometimes a few seconds sometimes i can make it 20 plus minutes. I think debris from the previous pump may have made it up in the FPR

Old 04-11-2009, 10:26 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are gonna be getting a new fuel pump again. I would not buy another cheap one. I would go with a Delco or an AirTex.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:34 AM
miamiii13 is on a distinguished road

did u disconnect the harness under the fuse panel on the right side of engine ? that will make it so much easier to remove intake.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:36 PM

thanks for the info about the wiring harness. if the Fuel pressure regulator doesn't do the trick then i'll be getting another pump. I'l get a walbro they seem to do a good job for all my sports car buddies. looks like its going to rain all day today so i won't get this thing done today.

Old 04-15-2009, 06:27 PM

well im fairly confident that the fuel pump is the problem. i replaced the regulator and the fuel pressure is still low. so time to check the pressure before the filter and see what happens. son of a gun, I just ordered the rough country 2inch lift thats looks to be a bit of a project.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM
miamiii13 is on a distinguished road
Default spark plug

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Before you go disconnecting the steering, try to remove the spark plug using conventional means.
you cannot change that 1 plug without taking off the steering bar so whoever told u use coventional means there is no other way to remove that 1 plug goodluck and if u have any other problems let me know

Last edited by miamiii13; 04-16-2009 at 06:17 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 06:29 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by miamiii13
you cannot change that 1 plug without taking off the steering bar so whoever told u use coventional means there is no other way to remove that 1 plug goodluck and if u have any other problems let me know
Really, now? That will come as a surprise to the people on this forum who have done it without removing any of the steering.
Take some time and read the posts that explain other ways to remove the plug.

Quick Reply: HElP very strange fuel issues on 98