2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

High Milage Service

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2008, 01:53 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default High Milage Service

Heres the deal: The blazer's getting up to 100,000 miles, and I'm trying to do all the recommended 100k mile stuff, but over the course of some time due to funds (woo college). Anyhow, here's what I've done recently:

Tranny flush/filter at 80k
Coolant flush at 95k
Ball Joints at 95k
Fuel Filter at 97k
Lubed all hinges and latches
Checked air filter (looked clean but i'll probably replace anyway since I havnt in at least 25k miles)

So Im looking for suggestions on what else I need to look into flushing/cleaning/changing. I was thinking of doing the Blazer Forum recommended tune-up of spark plugs, cap and rotor, and check the wires. Should I also replace the plug wires or just inspect them? Also what fluids need to be changed? I havn't touched the brake or power steering fluids, but they look clean. Also what about the belts? Check for wear..etc? Do I need to do anything with the fuel injectors or fuel pump preventative-ly speaking? My fuel level sending unit is toast, but I'm alright with watching the odometer..is a failed sending unit a sign of a soon-to-fail pump?

Thanks for the help!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:16 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road
Default RE: High Milage Service

The fuel module on the pump is what corrodes and makes your fuel level go crazy and or not work, you can replace just that part on the fuel pump. One thing I suggest is looking and inspecting around your intake manifold for buildup of gunk cause that would be the first sign of intake manifold gasket failure, I got my blazer with 98k once I hit 100k mine blew and I had to replace them!! Just something to look for. Another thing is all your general tune up items plugs, wires, fuel filter, air filter, belt and hoses!! Hope this gives you an idea of a few things!!!

Old 01-15-2008, 02:25 AM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

Yea I saw the posts about the crazy fuel level thing, just wasnt sure if that was linked at all to the fuel pump itself failing. I don't wanna go through all the trouble to replace just the module now if the pump will be going in the near future.

Ill add hoses and check intake gaskets to my list!

Old 01-15-2008, 03:07 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

Yea i don't believe that it is a sign of a fuel pump going out chevy just had this notion to put electronics in gas crazy I know but the module gets corroded over time from bad gas and therefore your fuel level gauge gets crazy!!

Old 01-15-2008, 04:00 PM
BF Veteran

anyone else have some recommendations?

Old 01-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can consult your owners manual for regular maintenance items that may or may not have been completed.

I would service the front/rear diff and the transfer case. If you have auto4wd, you need GM Autotrak II fluid for the transfer case. The diffs will take 80w90 gear oil with the GL5 rating (75w90 synthetic works great). I posted the capacities of these items in another post awhile ago (CLICK HERE). I also did a how too on servicing the rear differential - Rear Axle Service.

Those two threads should help.