2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

highway vibrations harmonic balance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 02:26 AM
pmzusmc is on a distinguished road
Talking

Originally Posted by rob44_90
U-joints are very easy to change out, especially if they are aftermarket. Four bolts that disconnect the drive shaft from the differential and 4 bolts for the rear axle, and four clips per u-joint. If they are originals, then you will have to get a torch or use map gas to heat it up in order to get the nylon out of the yoke.
Well, its not my u joints, the problem Def lies in my 4wd. Think its not totally disengaged. Problem seems to in the actuator cable on the transfer case side, maybe the spring in the housing. Keep yous updated, but making serious progress .........

Old 04-08-2011, 11:40 AM
rob44_90 is on a distinguished road

Try putting it in 4wd on pavement, then slightly turn to feel for the tension in the steering. If the tension goes away after you go back to 2wd, then you'll know the 4wd does disengage.

Old 04-08-2011, 12:25 PM

Oh I Def gets harder to turn in 4wd. Then easier in 2hi, however, there is a huge difference in my vibrations when I switch on the fly at highway speeds. Got it back from my mechanic, the driver side is only partially engaging. When on the lift it seemed to be spinning, under throttle, but my mechanic was able to hold the wheel still under throttle. think problem now lies Def in t case. not totally engaging or disengaged for that matter

Old 04-09-2011, 01:43 PM

That sucks man. I'm pretty sure the max speed to engage the 4wd is at 60mph, so hopefully you didn't go past that. I hope the problem with your t-case is fairly inexpensive to fix. Probably just a worn out clutch.

Old 04-09-2011, 03:22 PM

Oops didn't know about 60 mph! Lol, i read its at any speed to 4hi

Old 04-09-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by pmzusmc
Oops didn't know about 60 mph! Lol, i read its at any speed to 4hi
Some people say it's safe, but in the owners manual I'm fairly certain it says you can engage 4hi up to 60mph, at least in my 1999 owners manual. 4lo has to be in neutral and completely stopped to engage mine. I've engaged 4hi at 70, just to do it, and I had no problems, but I wouldn't do it again.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:30 PM

Roger that bro, going to tranny shop Monday, ill let you know how I make out. BTW, are both front wheels supposed to lock in 4hi? My driver side.isn't. Able to hold in place under power

Old 04-10-2011, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by pmzusmc
Roger that bro, going to tranny shop Monday, ill let you know how I make out. BTW, are both front wheels supposed to lock in 4hi? My driver side.isn't. Able to hold in place under power
Unless you have a locker or limited slip in the front differential, only one wheel with the least resistance/traction will turn under power. That's why people get stuck most of the time off roading, the one wheel with traction won't spin. The passenger side tire should do the same thing if you held it.

Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by rob44_90
Unless you have a locker or limited slip in the front differential, only one wheel with the least resistance/traction will turn under power. That's why people get stuck most of the time off roading, the one wheel with traction won't spin. The passenger side tire should do the same thing if you held it.
Maybe I'm a rock, but doesn't my actuator lock in my passenger side, is my mechanic the crazy one? I really think that since my vacuum hoses on my actuator switch were reversed for so long and my hubs were staying engaged, in 2hi, therefore I was partially engaged in 4wd 100% of the time (at the wheels but not in the t case) I think maybe the spines on my axles are all jacked up now. Think that could be causing all this vibration? Just a couple of bad axles? Hopefully nothing in my t case. Also I have just recently been noticing that on a down shift, at slow speeds I can hear a clunking noise just before I stop... dude I'm going broke and at a loss for words.... we'll see what these tranny guys try to del me tomorrow....

Old 04-10-2011, 02:06 PM

I guess it could be possible to have your actuator lock, and that be the problem. The actuator cable is connected to the passenger side of the differential. If the actuator was engaged and you drove like that, then I would say your gears in the differential are trash due to binding when turning. If your vacuum hoses were incorrectly installed, I would think that the service 4wd light would come on and 4wd would not work.

I'm still waiting for someone else to chime in.....

Last edited by rob44_90; 04-10-2011 at 02:19 PM.

Quick Reply: highway vibrations harmonic balance?