2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

highway vibrations harmonic balance?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 05:48 PM
pmzusmc is on a distinguished road

Yea I hear ya, that's the thing , my actuator was slightly stuck., fixed that. But I was driving around with my hubs engaged, or maybe partially engaged, for who knows how long. That's what my fear is, I guess we'll. See . Hoping its my cv joints

Old 04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Beginning Member
kyjonesy is on a distinguished road

hey guys. i had the same vibration problem at highway speeds. Turned out to be a badly slipped belt, and some mud caked on the inside of the rim....to answer one of your earlier questions that is now irrelevant is any time your vehicle is moving, whether in gear or no, your driveline is moving. could be a cv join on the axle causing a vibration if they were bad enough, but they probably wouldn't vibrate long before falling apart. as far as your splines being jacked, i'd say probably not because i drove mine for 2 months with my front axles locked together and no damage was done. i've heard of ball joints causing a vibration if loose, but i've never actually seen it myself.

Old 04-10-2011, 07:01 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by kyjonesy
hey guys. i had the same vibration problem at highway speeds. Turned out to be a badly slipped belt, and some mud caked on the inside of the rim....to answer one of your earlier questions that is now irrelevant is any time yoour vehicle is moving, whether in gear or no, your driveline is moving. could be a cv join on the axle causing a vibration if they were bad enough, but they probably wouldn't vibrate long before falling apart. as far as your splines being jacked, i'd say probably not because i drove mine for 2 months with my front axles locked together and no damage was done. i've heard of ball joints causing a vibration if loose, but i've never actually seen it myself.
A serpantine belt? Mine is chirping away, just put some rtv on it. Harmonic balanced has a very slight wobble. I think the belt keeps chirping cause my inner cv 's are spitting grease like crazy.
Ball joints are 3 weeks old , front hubs 2 months, Idler ARM both motor mounts, tranny mount 1 week old. This is getting pathetic. Alternator, Idler pulley, tension pulley, new brakes / rotors, the list goes on. Got the truck in Feb.

Old 04-10-2011, 11:07 PM
Default highway vibrations harmonic balance?

Hey everyone, I'm kinda at a loss for words, and money at this point. I've been rebuilding my front end trying to get rid of these highway speed vibrations. I have a few more ideas of what they could be , hut don't wanna think or hear that the problems may be in my t-case . My 2000 Trailblazer, 4wd, has some vibrations that can be felt in the floor boards, steering wheel, and pretty much the entire front end. It's not a wobble at all, its straight up vibrations. Kinda like your cell phone would. Sometimes I feel them faintly in park or just at idle, sometimes at slower speeds toward the end of a gear. But they are very noticeable at highway speeds around 60 and greater, kinda less noticeable around 70 plus. At highway speeds it even blurs my rear view mirror! Is this possibly a harmonic balance issue? Hope this isn't the wrong place to post!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:36 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

*Merging Threads* - Since you already have an active discussion started concerning this issue, please keep them together. I will keep this in the 2nd Gen Tech section where it is more applicable.

Since your problem is present in park and/or when the truck is stationary, the issue is likely in the engine and/or it's mounts. How does the harmonic balancer look? If you align the timing marks on the balancer (see EDI Engine Timing thread in the Tech Article section) does the rotor point at the appropriate location in the cap (make sure that #1 is on compression)?

Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 AM

engine mounts /tranny mount brand new!!!! aaaaaahhhhhhh!!! just got back from tranny guy, no problems on his end. kinda a good thing. really leaning towards harmonic balance!!! when i get home today ill check it out.

Old 04-15-2011, 07:59 PM

Harmonic balanced swapped, still vibrating. I really need some
Help here. COuld bad front axles cause this? Starts around
55 mph, gets smoother at 70 . Still vibrates rolling in neutral at those speeds. Every mechanic says. U joints are fine, though original .

Old 04-15-2011, 08:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it's time to replace the u-joints anyway.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Maybe it's time to replace the u-joints anyway.
I know, you are right.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:18 PM
Administrator

Here's something to try I guess... Disconnect the rear driveshaft at the rear axle and twist it 180 degrees. Bolt it back up and take it for a spin. See if that has any affect on the condition.

Quick Reply: highway vibrations harmonic balance?