2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Horn wiring diagram

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2009, 10:46 AM
cjh
Beginning Member
cjh is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re:Horn problems

Awesome
Thank's for your time and energy.
According to the picture,my problem is that i do not have the wiring shown going to the
spring loaded tube dodad.
This whole steering columb has been messed with previously and I think the wiring was removed.

Thanks again
CJH

Old 12-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Try pushing in on the spring loaded switch while grounding the back side of it with a jumper wire. See if that will cause the horn to blow.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:39 PM
cjh
Beginning Member

Thanks for the picture,and thanks for the time you have burned helping me.
My Switch does not have the wires on it.
It is a straight tube,with contact points on each end,spring loaded on both ends.
(different flavor of the same theme...?

Regard's
CJH

Old 12-01-2009, 12:46 PM
cjh
Beginning Member

Sorry,I did not see your previous reply.
I gotta take the air/horn modual back off.
I will reply tonight as to how grounding out the switch worked out.

Regard's
CJH

Old 12-01-2009, 01:16 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Very likely is just a different design for the older 2nd gens.

You should be able to remove the switch and test continuity across it with a multimeter. You should also be able to reach down inside with a test wire and ground the contact down further in the column that the switch comes in contact with to see if that sounds the horn.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:01 PM
cjh
Beginning Member
Default Re: Horn

Well....I could not get that sucker to blow grounding out the switch.

The problems seem to me to be in the columb,I did not want to pull the steering wheel,to find that more parts are missing.

Here's what I did...
I removed the airbag modual and fitted an industrial Red Panic button.

Note: Way back,I pulled the fuse for the airbags,the wiring was so messed up,I coud not trust them not to go off whenever they felt like it.

It looks stupid,(much like the original design of the original system) only diff is that it works.

It is not only a conversation piece,but it kind of represents an editorial statement on how nuts vehicals have become, as far as what you would think to be a relatively simple problem,turns into a nightmare.

Sorry for going on...but if I was running a company,I would not build 2,3,4,5 differant versions of the same parts that all do the same thing. Wonder why GM is hurting???

I still appreciate your help,and when the rest of my dash is put back together,would you be interested in a picture of the new and improved design? ...You will at least get a chuckle out of it....

Cheer's
CJH

Old 12-10-2009, 02:42 AM
Beginning Member
raptorman is on a distinguished road

I`m a bit afraid to set of the airbag, when starting to look for the fault. Is it enough too pull the airbag fuse, or do I have to take other precausions?
Thanx for your time spent swartlkk!! Awsome "problem solvin attitude"!!!

Old 01-14-2010, 10:06 PM
Blazeme is on a distinguished road
Default Good for 2001?

Originally Posted by swartlkk
This should help:

You can locate this wire in the main wiring harness connector under the steering column. If you are able to ground out this wire and activate the horn, then the switch is bad.

Here is the first table for the pinout of the connector under the column:
Are these diagrams correct for a 2001 4 door 4x4 also? I think our switch is bad but I am doing my home work before I check it.

Blazeme

Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 PM
Administrator

I do not believe that any thing changed in this regard from 2000 to 2001.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:21 PM
Blazeme is on a distinguished road

Thanks Swartikk, you are faster than Quick Draw McGraw

Blazeme