2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Horrible Gas Mileage on my New 2004 4.3ltr. Help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:00 AM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Horrible Gas Mileage on my New 2004 4.3ltr. Help!

I agree that your Blazer is definitely sub-par on mileage, and that going to the dealer is the best step. Since it's under warranty, get your money's worth!!

In a 4x4, the front and rear axles must run the same ratio or you'll blow up something when you engage 4WD. Chances are VERY slim that the previous owner changed anything, as it would mean changing both axle ratios. Much more logical for him to buy the ratio he wanted in the first place. However, the dealership can easily check this for you.

And if you want to clean your fuel injectors (although at 26K miles I can't imagine why) I echo the idea to buy Techron and run it through, not ATF.

With a car this new, I sincerely doubt that this has anything to do with any kind of deposits in the motor. It's much more likely to be something computer / electrical in nature.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:31 AM
Beginning Member
supramacist is an unknown quantity at this point

Tell tale signs of lowered gears. Less gas mileage. It's almost the same as shifting from 2 hi to 4 lo.
You still get the rpm's but less speed. So it would be the same way in 2 hi. Same rpm's..., different top end speed.

Hello techron..., I have seen this brand. What is it exactly you have added to your tank instead of my atf, cause that works well. I would try this. I wouldn't give someone 411 on a forum that I hadn't done and trust. I agree that your'e probably right about the mileage being low and the afore stated mix. I failed to take that into consideration before I posted.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:58 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

As far as the gears go, what is your RPM at 60mph in OD? My Bravada has 3.73 rear gear. At 60mph with the TC locked up in OD, I'm running right around 1900RPM. I also have the 235/70R15 tires which compounds things a bit more on my truck.

Old 03-20-2007, 11:28 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

Not to sound like an ****... But how hard are you pressing the gas pedal? I know a lot of people that complain about poor gas mileage on their trucks, but don't really notice they're stomping on the pedal...

Did the previous owner keep up on oil changes?

How's the transmission fluid?

Do you know what kind of loads the previous owner was towing?

You should be rated at 18/26 for your mileage... That's what mine is rated at, and from what I can find, there's no difference according to paper between the 5 speed and the auto...

10MPG is very bad... Is the truck still running factory sized tires? Are they at the right air pressure?

Old 03-20-2007, 11:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Even an '05 wasn't rated at 18/26. Best I can find is 15/19... But still, he is low.

Heck, my Bonneville is only rated at 18/28.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:19 PM
komodopb is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: drperry

Not to sound like an ****... But how hard are you pressing the gas pedal? I know a lot of people that complain about poor gas mileage on their trucks, but don't really notice they're stomping on the pedal...
At 10 miles per gallon, real light.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:20 PM
Dabber is an unknown quantity at this point

I find that with my truck when I first got it the milage was bad ( Not that bad) but could have been better. With nearly 40000km on it now I find that the gas goes a little farther. I think there is probably a 75 to 100 km difference in tanks now. Might not be much in miles to the gallon but it does seem to get a littlebetter

Old 03-20-2007, 02:27 PM
USMaverick101 is an unknown quantity at this point

I just put in something yesterday on my truck and am still yet to see if it works. It's called a Turbomag,...you clamp it on your fuel line right before the plenum. The magnet helps the flow of the fuel through your fuel line, supposedly. It was only like $6 on ebay so it was worth a shot. If you want,go ahead and try one, or wait a while so I can tell u if its working for me.

HOW DOES TURBOMAG WORK? Untreated Fuel molecules tend to “clump” together due to attraction between molecules with charges of opposite polarities. This causes an inefficient burn. As a result, your engine experiences loss of power, lower gas mileage and lots of carbon build-up. Turbomag’s powerful magnetic field causes these “clumps” of fuel molecules to be charged with a single polarity, thus they repel each other making the fuel disperse more efficiently causing more complete combustion and power production. Turbomag will actually remove the existing carbon build-up in your engine - this usually takes an average of 3 tanks full of gas, followed by a dramatic increase in gas mileage and horsepower.

Heres the link to the turbomag site,...http://www.myturbomagnet.com/index.html
Theyre a little bit more on the website, than on ebay. If you search on ebay, you'll probably find it for like $2 cheaper. Try it out, you got nothing to lose.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:02 PM
Administrator

snake oil... Car & Driver as well as Motor Trend tested the most popular 'fuel savers' on the market and all of them are gimics and a few (tornado comes to mind) actually hurt performance (the Federal Trade Commision does this testing as well). Not to mention that those magnets, if close enough to a few of the sensors, may cause the CEL to illuminate with various sensor related problems. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Here's some lite reading for ya: FTC "Gas-Saving" Products

Old 03-20-2007, 07:35 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

Even an '05 wasn't rated at 18/26. Best I can find is 15/19... But still, he is low.

Heck, my Bonneville is only rated at 18/28.
I've still got the window sticker, lol, I'll take a pic of it...

ORIGINAL: komodopb

ORIGINAL: drperry

At 10 miles per gallon, real light.
Lol, I thought as much, but had to throw it out there...

Did you go see what your RPMs were at 60MPH, like swart suggested?
What's your tire size? We'll get to the bottom of this, lol.

And if those fuel savers really worked, they'd be a cheap knock-off for an expensive dealership option...

Quick Reply: Horrible Gas Mileage on my New 2004 4.3ltr. Help!