2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Hot rotors

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 05:07 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road
Default Hot rotors

So My brakes were making noise, found a stuck rear caliper. did a rear brake job, new pads, rotors, pins, and clips. Drove two miles and checked, rotors smoking hot. Rechecked work, everything slides nice like it should, but noticed one of the front caliper pistons a little rough pushing back in. Picked up and installed two new front calipers. Rode around the block and they're still hot.
So now I'm gonna pull it back apart and put new hoses in. While I have it apart, is there anything else I should look at?
By the way, I have barely used brake fluid for sale cheep!

Old 04-23-2012, 06:11 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

do the pads move freely?
it sounds like they are binding up

Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Let me back up a second. My daughter is the daily driver (https://blazerforum.com/forum/new-me...c-hello-63666/). Apparently the blazer was driven a while with sticking calipers. When I did the rear brake job it got driven about 100 miles before I saw it again. One of the new rotors was turning blue from the heat. Pulled everything apart again, checking the pins and pads for free movement. That's when I noticed the bottom pistons of the front calipers would hang up while pushing back in, so I installed new ones. Same problem. Searched this forum and found posts on imploding brake hoses and "H" block adjustments. I've done hundreds of brake jobs and this was new territory for me. Took it to my friendly tire shop and talked with the mechanics and in 15 min. of talking it through we decided it needed hoses,because the heat generated took out the linings of the hoses. Changed out the 4 hoses going to the calipers and it rolls really good now. Apparently the hose failure causes enough restriction to allow the brakes to work but they are too slow to release when you take your foot off the pedal. Then you get excess heat which compounds the problem. When the wheels were cold (while doing original job) everything slid and rotated fine, but symptoms occurred at operating temperatures.
So, of course, while changing the hoses I also had to repair some of the old lines because they broke while taking them apart.
She's rolling so smooth now I think I'll get better gas mileage,but I still gotta get a new cluster to find out, because the odometer will not light up.
All in all I still have some barely used brake fluid for sale!