2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How bad is it if you can't read the High Side Port on AC, pressures etc

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:04 PM
93S10TahoeLT is on a distinguished road
Default How bad is it if you can't read the High Side Port on AC, pressures etc

Yes, this is different than other thread PAG 46, please don't combine. That thread was mostly about oil, I think I got an idea on that now. This thread is more about pressures.

My static pressure was around 90 this morning, so I feel that was good. Read it should be between 80 and 105.. (various pages on AC stuff. Piecing it together and trying to apply to the Blazer and its R4 compressor.)

My LOW SIDE was right at about 42psi...

THEN I checked the pressure with it OFF and the Schrader valve on Low Side (of course) stuck a little. Some green oil (that green stuff I believe is oil?) came out, dripping or running down the accumulator and I heard and saw bubbling at the port. I eventually got that valve closed.

When I checked my pressures after I did that the low side was then up to about 60 at the top of the yellow so I let it back down to about 40 and now I'm trying to assess, AC system is working. I know water drips out from removing humidity but truthfully today was another day where you didn't really need air conditioning because it was nice out.

What say you?

Old 05-28-2020, 12:56 AM
Beginning Member
cw801971 is on a distinguished road

Don't really understand what you are saying. But If you dropped the low side pressure to 40 with the a/c off. Then you are probably under charged. The low side should level out close to the ambient temperature with the system off. The video from your last thread... Was that the a/c system cycling that we were hearing? If so then you may have a blockage in the condenser up front. A quick check for that would be to check the temperature of both the inlet and outlet lines. Shouldn't be more than 50 degree difference between the 2. I usually just touch them by hand REAL QUICK. And see if they are close in temp. If there is a blockage there will be a huge temperature difference. (if you can hold onto the outlet line without getting burnt but not the inlet) . Then you'll need to change out the condenser. You'll never get it cleaned out enough by flushing it. The cores are way to small in it.

Old 05-28-2020, 11:41 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

I’m not sure what you mean by static but I’ll assume you mean that the compressor has been off for a few minutes giving the system time to equalize. Under this condition the high side pressure passes through the metering orifice until the entire system is at the same pressure, which will equal the pressure indicated for that engine compartment temp on a 134a temp/pressure chart. Below that indicates low charge or a blockage.

green stuff: that may be oil but it may also be leak tracer or the dreaded green slime which occurs when contaminants mix with the oil forming acid and sludge. That plugs the metering orifice tube and disrupts the pressures between the high and low side. Also your schrader is leaking which is not prevented by the cap in most cases and will probable result in constant leakage until that core is replaced. The green stuff may be related.

high side pressure: are you saying that you cannot get a reliable high side pressure reading or it is zero psi? Is that with system off and equalized or with the compressor running, or both?

George

Old 05-31-2020, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
I’m not sure what you mean by static but I’ll assume you mean that the compressor has been off for a few minutes giving the system time to equalize. Under this condition the high side pressure passes through the metering orifice until the entire system is at the same pressure, which will equal the pressure indicated for that engine compartment temp on a 134a temp/pressure chart. Below that indicates low charge or a blockage.

green stuff: that may be oil but it may also be leak tracer or the dreaded green slime which occurs when contaminants mix with the oil forming acid and sludge. That plugs the metering orifice tube and disrupts the pressures between the high and low side. Also your schrader is leaking which is not prevented by the cap in most cases and will probable result in constant leakage until that core is replaced. The green stuff may be related.

high side pressure: are you saying that you cannot get a reliable high side pressure reading or it is zero psi? Is that with system off and equalized or with the compressor running, or both?

George
I try to check it first thing before the car runs etc for the first "static" pressure etc, all on the low side. I do not have a way to check the high side. I just verified there was stuff in there so I may check it again.. first hot day I'll know how well it is working etc.

Pretty sure it is not "zero psi"

Old 05-31-2020, 12:36 PM
BF Veteran

Do not hook up to the high side port, it can have high pressure liquid refrigerant and therefore it can be very dangerous. For the last time, stop releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere it’s bad for the environment and it’s illegal. Up to a $25,000 fine and there has been prison time given. There is also a reward for turning someone in and your leaving a massive breadcrumb trail during hard financial times. I know you like the conversation but start using your head man. Why are you here if your not going to follow any of the advice from other members? BTW, now you have made me angry and that’s hard to do. I’m home sick with the flu and I’m trying to help people and this is just hopelessly looping. You are here again talking about high side venting and i’ve come back one more time on the other thread so there can be no mistake about my guidance to you on the subject of venting refrigerant, the law and the dangers of high side pressure. You got one more post out of me so that my strong advice is posted on both threads. I’m out here too and since this is all of our conversations. I’m definitely out for good. Pro tip, your going to have a hard time getting any help if you don’t do anything that other members suggest and this is the best Blazer forum that I know of.

Stat safe and follow the law or hire a professional.

George

Old 05-31-2020, 02:04 PM
Billy1820 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
Do not hook up to the high side port, it can have high pressure liquid refrigerant and therefore it can be very dangerous. For the last time, stop releasing refrigerant into the atmosphere it’s bad for the environment and it’s illegal. Up to a $25,000 fine and there has been prison time given. There is also a reward for turning someone in and your leaving a massive breadcrumb trail during hard financial times. I know you like the conversation but start using your head man. Why are you here if your not going to follow any of the advice from other members? BTW, now you have made me angry and that’s hard to do. I’m home sick with the flu and I’m trying to help people and this is just hopelessly looping. You are here again talking about high side venting and i’ve come back one more time on the other thread so there can be no mistake about my guidance to you on the subject of venting refrigerant, the law and the dangers of high side pressure. You got one more post out of me so that my strong advice is posted on both threads. I’m out here too and since this is all of our conversations. I’m definitely out for good. Pro tip, your going to have a hard time getting any help if you don’t do anything that other members suggest and this is the best Blazer forum that I know of.

Stat safe and follow the law or hire a professional.

George
Like I said George, his threads are like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

At at this point though, its beyond simply laughable. Not only is he a danger to himself, but he continues with his completely illegal actions of allowing ozone depleting elements into the atmosphere. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pours that nasty old antifreeze into the storm drain either.

Op, have you ever heard of greenhouse gases? Enough is enough, stop being an idiot. If you want it fixed, pay for a competent mechanic to repair your old blazer.

Old 05-31-2020, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Billy1820

At at this point though, its beyond simply laughable. Not only is he a danger to himself, but he continues with his completely illegal actions of allowing ozone depleting elements into the atmosphere. I wouldn’t be surprised if he pours that nasty old antifreeze into the storm drain either.

Op, have you ever heard of greenhouse gases? Enough is enough, stop being an idiot. If you want it fixed, pay for a competent mechanic to repair your old blazer.
You know you're only enco.... nevermind. I made a video. Just for you. But I would be feeding into your negativity if I shared it.

I will say this: My activite or alleged activities or Do Whatever You Are Going To Do when we start threatening to have the Internet become In real Life (I'll go ahead and delete the video to remove "evidence".. no face in that video, anyways) as far as gas and the atmosphere are no worse than when we fill up our cars with gasoline, or used canned air to clean a computer keyboard. CFCs have been banned a long time ago and it is more or less like the like from Rainman: "The Exxon Valdez spills thousands and thousands of gallons into the ocean, and the EPA is going to fix the problem by keeping my four Lamborghinis off the road." Google it.

In any case, I was going to ask about using Propane. Pretty good results from that, right?

Meanwhile, i enjoy my nice cool air.

Now, your turn! (Please dont try to win a pee contest with me.)

George: I have learned a lot about how AC systems work. Please don't be angry, that is a choice you make. I'm fighting off FULLY responding to Billy1820's bait, but your posts are always great. I actually take into consideration all your advice, I read and re-read your posts, is why I jumped over to the second thread, and I've won money award lawsuits over local police in my town so if anyone wants to play that game. (Billy1820 I'm too good at this, so, stop.) What I can tell you, GeorgeLG, is that my neighbors that don't pick up their dog's poo poo are more a thread than a non-CFC can from Walmart, again, you're ignoring that canned air from computers does the same thing but I can tell you have been doing this for many many years and are undoubtedly a pro.. It had already been established a pro "probably wouldnt touch my truck anyways" as they like their machines to not have foreign oils in them, also we have no control about how companies market and sell their products, same that I can walk into a store and buy everything I did no challenge, as I do, then adjust gas levels right there in a parking lot, usually right in front of a cop, so... let's focus on the AC system and not all that other crap.

I am disappointed about one thing, though. Today is a nice, no humidity, windows down kind of day, and no water coming from AC condensation. So it was a nice day.. and I still feel cool air, lol.

And yes, so far I've done all this without the high side. I did make a video pretty much for Billy1820 of me venting high side one time, but he is going to stop first and then I will. I'm too good at this, Billy1820, so, stop it. Thanks.

Last edited by 93S10TahoeLT; 05-31-2020 at 02:52 PM.
Old 05-31-2020, 03:47 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Billy1820

Thank you for adding credibility here on the issue of venting. I think it’s good for other members to see the other side. I’m not even saying where I am on refrigerants and venting but I follow the law because the law and the feds don’t care about our personal feelings on these subjects and whether these laws make any sense. They prosecute people for this all the time, the EPA has a very heavy hand on this. The judge is not going to care if the defendant thinks the law is stupid or makes no sense. And then there is the finders fee. I would not rat someone out because I’m not into that but all 7B people are not me.

this has been a wild ride but I got off at the last station. Be safe.

George