2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to clear codes? Plus miss/dying problem.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:40 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation How to clear codes? Plus miss/dying problem.

As the subject says, will disconnecting the batter clear trouble codes?

When I first got my Blazer, last summer, it began throwing a low coolant temp code and that was it. Kept putting off replacing the sensor, and the coolant temp gauge always reads about 160, not really ever any higher since I've had it. So I finally plan on putting on a new 195* stat and new coolant temp sensor tomorrow.

The other problem I've had has been with an occasional miss, 3 times of which, started sputtering, felt like it was completely bogged down, popping exhaust, eventually dying. Wouldn't restart each time for anywhere from 10-20 minutes depending on the case, after which, once it started back up, it ran completely fine for a long time afterwards. The most recent however was last week, after which was able to get it to kick on for about a second if I sprayed starter fluid in it, but would die as soon as the fluid was burned off. Let it sit for 45 minutes, tried again, fired right up and has ran fine ever since.

Now I got the codes printed off tonight at Autozone, they were the same low coolant code, and an EVAP code, and random misfire code. Unfortunately, I lost the printout with the actual codes somehow between Autozone and home. Any suggestions as to what the problem could be? I plan on doing a tune-up tomorrow; plugs, wires, temp sensor, t-stat, fuel filter; so any other suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 05-05-2009, 06:01 AM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Clearing codes

The code reader is needed to clear the codes on a 2001, disconnecting the battery won't work since it's OBD II.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:41 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A battery disconnect will reset the PCM. Just leave the battery cable off for 10-15 minutes and you should be set.

Also, the code will go away on its own once the PCM sees that it is fixed.

Old 05-06-2009, 06:35 PM
kgkern01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Rechecked the codes:

P0300 - Random misfire
P0400 - EVAP malfunction
Forgot the third code, but was for low coolant temp, bad t-stat I guess?

Old 05-06-2009, 08:06 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check out the OBD2 code sticky at the top of the Tech Article (DIY) section for code description and trouble shooting.