2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How do I remove the front driveshaft?

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:52 PM
Beginning Member
mnmetalhead is on a distinguished road
Default How do I remove the front driveshaft?

I started to try to replace the transfer case motor on my 2001 blazer and it turns out that I need to remove the front drive shaft and I can't figure out how to remove it. Can anyone here give me some tips? Thanks!

Old 10-19-2009, 02:57 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unbolt it from the front diff and then pull it out of the front of the transfer case. There will be a small snap ring inside that will offer up resistance, but it does slide out with some help.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
Unbolt it from the front diff and then pull it out of the front of the transfer case. There will be a small snap ring inside that will offer up resistance, but it does slide out with some help.
Thanks for the help! So, just take those four bolts out of front of it? they hold a couple of brackets onto the drive shaft. I took those out but it still did not budge. Are those what you are talking about? Do I need to use a pry bar or something? thanks again! This is not a repair that I have ever had to do but I will definitely try.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:14 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

yes a little effort with a pry bar is needed. I replaced my transfer case this past weekend and the front drive shaft was a little bit stubborn but did eventually slide right out.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:19 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by OILCOUNTRY
yes a little effort with a pry bar is needed. I replaced my transfer case this past weekend and the front drive shaft was a little bit stubborn but did eventually slide right out.
Thanks! I really appreciate the help! I really only need it to slide back about 1/2 an inch and it looks like it will fall right down. So I should try to pull it back towards the case, right? This has been a huge help guys! sorry about asking so many questions but I just don't have the cash to bring it to a shop.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
OILCOUNTRY is an unknown quantity at this point

You get the front end of the shaft out from the yoke that is attached to the front diff, then you will pull the shaft towards the front of the vehicle( Away from the transfer case) Hopefully thats not to confusing...

Old 10-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by OILCOUNTRY
You get the front end of the shaft out from the yoke that is attached to the front diff, then you will pull the shaft towards the front of the vehicle( Away from the transfer case) Hopefully thats not to confusing...
not confusing at all. Getting it out from the yoke is what was giving me trouble. now I know to just pry it out. Thanks again! is putting it back difficult?

Old 10-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Beginning Member

One more question for you guys. I got the shaft out of the front yoke so thats good. But the part that goes into the transfer case is a separate piece. How do I get that off? it looks like the shaft goes into this piece and that piece has a rubber seal that connects to the shaft. to make this short..........how do I get the entire thing out of the transfer case? I need that out to get the case motor completely off. Thanks for the help guys!

Old 10-19-2009, 06:32 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

i was wondering if you were gonna figure this out or not. although OILCOUNTRY was helpful in his directions, he should have also told you to use your pry bar between the shield and the t-case to "pop" the spline past the snap ring inside. the first one i did i was kinda leary of prying on this too, but it was what was required. just pull on the front drive shaft with oe hand, and pry behind the shield with the other. it'll feel like it's not going anywhere, but watch ouy, it'll just "pop" and be out.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
i was wondering if you were gonna figure this out or not. although OILCOUNTRY was helpful in his directions, he should have also told you to use your pry bar between the shield and the t-case to "pop" the spline past the snap ring inside. the first one i did i was kinda leary of prying on this too, but it was what was required. just pull on the front drive shaft with oe hand, and pry behind the shield with the other. it'll feel like it's not going anywhere, but watch ouy, it'll just "pop" and be out.
Thanks a ton! I will give that a try tomorrow! Does it go back in pretty easily? or are there more steps that I should know? Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: How do I remove the front driveshaft?