2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How hard is it to install a trans cooler

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 09:26 AM
Starting Member
blazerJim1701 is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face How hard is it to install a trans cooler

on a 2001 Chevy Blazer LT 4X4?

I see the stock trans cooler on it now.

Thanks

Jim

Old 07-29-2009, 11:21 AM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

The install of a trans cooler is pretty easy it took me & a friend 4 hours but there was "beer" involved make sure you deburr your lines very well after cutting or you will get leaks. But you say you can see the stock one are you referring to the one in the radiator or a external one? Is there a problem with it why new install???

Old 07-29-2009, 11:29 AM
Starting Member

there is one in the rad.

there is cutting involved?

I thought from what I've heard that it's a matter of disconnecting the top connection installing an adaptor and a fitting on the stock transcooler and then connecting the hoses then mounting it in front of the rad.

if it is that then great but cutting i won't do.

I just want to make sure about the complexity of istalling the cooler.

thanks

Jim

Old 07-29-2009, 12:01 PM

I have never heard of installing a trans cooler with out cutting BUT I could be wrong. This is easy don't be afraid take the outlet from the radiator cooler using the adaptor to the inlet of the new cooler then outlet of new cooler to the return line of the trany cut the line after the bend with a small pipe cutter so you can fit the new hose make sure to deburr it fit new hose over it using 2 clamps then check for leaks

Old 07-29-2009, 04:38 PM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

NO NO, Don't cut it! go to the autoparts store and buy the fittings, comes in a set. Then you disconnect the hardline, remove the fitting. connect the hose to the external to the hole with one fitting. then put the other fitting in the other end of the external cooler hose and screw in the original rad fitting and plug the hardline into it and put the clip back on.

I suppose you can just cut if you want, but I personnally prefer a good clean look!

Fittings at summit

Also: Do an advanced search of my posts using the word "Trans" then scroll down a bit, it will help!

P.S. My external cooler is oinstalled on the passenger side, infront of the rad, next to the headlight.

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 07-29-2009 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 04:41 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have done it both ways. On my Rainier, the transmission fittings are a quick connect style so I cut the return line with a small tube cutter and then put a slight flare on the end of the hard line before pushing on the rubber line to the cooler and tightening down the two hose clamps per connection.

The B&M SuperCooler kit will come with all of the required fittings for the s-series vehicles to make it a bolt in installation.

Old 07-29-2009, 05:39 PM

Well I learned something new didn't know there was a kit. I put mine on in 2000 got it for only $10.00 new it's 10" X 15" & I am use to doing things old school do it my self & save $$$. But you might want to use the kit just make sure you check for leaks. Good luck

Old 07-29-2009, 07:07 PM
Starting Member
Exclamation

I kind of knew that you didn't need to cut to install the cooler but I wasn't 100% sure. I do not want to cut anything.

So basically I just have to disconnect the top trans line going to the radiator, install an adaptorthen screw in the adaptor to the connection on the radiator and run the lines to the trans cooler, right?

Then mount the cooler on the passenger side of the radiator....

Jim

Old 07-29-2009, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That basically covers it.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:39 PM
Starting Member

how about the connection to the top, I noticed that it will be lined up to go into the rad, can that be bent a bit to facilitate the adaptor and the hose?

Thanks

Quick Reply: How hard is it to install a trans cooler