Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums

Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums (https://blazerforum.com/forum/)
-   2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/)
-   -   How much oil and freon in 1996 blazer (https://blazerforum.com/forum/2nd-generation-s-series-1995-2005-tech-41/how-much-oil-freon-1996-blazer-63907/)

c6159b 10-11-2011 01:22 PM

How much oil and freon in 1996 blazer

I'm replacing the compressor on my 1996 2wd blazer does anyone know how much oil and freon it takes to refill. I can't find the sticker that tells you this I thing it was lost when the plastic crumbled and fell apart. The new compressor has oil in it will this be enough or do I need to add more?

pettyfog 10-11-2011 01:47 PM

Dang I hate answering these.. I will just assume you have researched this thoroughly and are doing it right. You didnt explain why you're replacing the Comp so I assume the clutch pulley bearing failed and the snout was ruined.

34 oz, max, of 134a.

oil.. normally you rotate and drain the old comp and measure that but if yours already has oil, then add no more than 1 oz additional. That's to make up for what was in the old accumulator which you just replaced.

c6159b 10-11-2011 02:24 PM

I am replacing the compressor because the seal in the middle is leaking this seems to be a common problem with this model. I will be replacing the drier and will add 1oz. of oil for that. I don't know how many ozs. of oil are in new compressor so I will empty old comp. and put the same amount back in new comp. Thanks for your help I needed that info on amount of freon.

pettyfog 10-11-2011 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by c6159b (Post 466123)
I am replacing the compressor because the seal in the middle is leaking this seems to be a common problem with this model. I will be replacing the drier and will add 1oz. of oil for that. I don't know how many ozs. of oil are in new compressor so I will empty old comp. and put the same amount back in new comp. Thanks for your help I needed that info on amount of freon.

Sorry if I wasnt clear.
If you empty the old, also empty the new.
New may / should have more. Add enough to make up the difference, if any. Dont take out if new has more.

Then only 1/2 to 1 oz for the accum.
Since you didnt have to flush system, I'd go with 1/2 oz for the accum

Hope that's clearer.

- I dunno why they do a full fill in replacement compressors without a note saying that, or how to install proper amount. Last one I did from a box had detail instructions. They did a fill and drain at factory, noted the comp did not contain oil, then inst on how to set proper level.

c6159b 10-11-2011 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by pettyfog (Post 466134)
Sorry if I wasnt clear.
If you empty the old, also empty the new.
New may / should have more. Add enough to make up the difference, if any. Dont take out if new has more.

Then only 1/2 to 1 oz for the accum.
Since you didnt have to flush system, I'd go with 1/2 oz for the accum

Hope that's clearer.

- I dunno why they do a full fill in replacement compressors without a note saying that, or how to install proper amount. Last one I did from a box had detail instructions. They did a fill and drain at factory, noted the comp did not contain oil, then inst on how to set proper level.

I guess I didn't type that right.lol I am going to empty both and put back the amount the old comp. had. I am assuming I lost some oil were it's leaking and will add an 0z. or 2 for that. It's been leaking for years and I've been adding freon. Thanks again for your help.