2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How much will it cost me?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 09:18 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of
Default How much will it cost me?

Okay... i'm afraid my truck needs new ball joints.... I have the classic front end pop and it is starting to get to me........ How much will it be to replace them? Iknow some of you have done this yourself and have had it done for you. . . so how much did it set you back?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: How much will it cost me?

I replaced the upper and lower joints on the driver's side of mine and it only cost me the price of the two ball joints and I used the more expensive ones. Due to the aggravation and not having the proper tools (no air tools), I had the local Midas replace the passenger side. They charged me $175 to do both the uppers and lowers and they used the cheaper parts. Now that price was DIRT CHEAP and I jumped on it when I heard the estimate over the phone.

You also may want to check and make sure that the noise is not coming from the hood hinge pins. Have you verified that the noise is from the ball joints?

Old 11-26-2006, 09:29 PM
00blackblazer is an unknown quantity at this point

check your upper control arm bushings. mine were popping so i replaced them when i did the drop on it. i only use moog products. ball joints arent that hard if you have the proper tools. drill and drill bits or an air chisel to remove the rivets that hold the factory ball joints in.

Old 11-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check first to see if they have been replaced before. If they have, definitely do it yourself.

Old 11-27-2006, 02:09 AM
MNHawk is an unknown quantity at this point

These are simple to replace if you have the time and an air hammer (yes an air hammer due to chissel and hammer takes too long)

The old ones from factory are rived on. The replacements are bolts with nuts.

A good replacement ball joint cost ($40) mid ($27) low ($12) opps forgot the supper cheapos ($5 and made in who knows where)

but take about an hour per side to do both, pending on how much the rivits take to bust loose. You could also drill them out if you are good at pointing to the center of the rivit. Oh, another tool that is handy with this is a pitman arm puller and a long pry bar.

Old 11-27-2006, 10:05 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

what is really convincing me that it is the ball joints is the front wheels wabble top to bottom a bit...... I dont hvae time to do it myself with school and all, so i'm probably gonna have to pay somebody to do it... I have the tools, and the ability.... just not the time.... I'm gonna have the local shop (that specializes in fron ends) take a look at it and probably let them fix it.... BTW it isnt the hood problem ive read so much about..... anyways, I want new ball joints on before I lift it........

Old 11-28-2006, 11:31 AM

Shop charges you by billable hours over actual time. I have seen this job done per side in 1/2 hr per side via shop with lift. So 1 hr real time and billable is like almost 2 hrs per side. Figure about 4 hrs labor and 20% plus markup on parts (avg $10 added per part) and they start the part at list price not at retail price. (EXAMPLE: Rotor | Comercial price $7.49 | Retail $18.89 | List $32.23) They will get it for the commercial price markup the list price and charge you that.

So if funds are not an issue, being a student and all, then you should have np. Be looking at shop rate X's close to 4 hrs plus, parts with markup, shop fees, tax. Most shops charge $85 per hr, not sure about your local shops. So I would have to say you would be looking close to a $400 bill. Not to mention they love to add things that were not really needed and do them without your ok to do them. And make sure you have time to check over their work when they are done, with a torque wrench also. Or you might find yourself back in that shop again within a few weeks. (this is how most shops stay open, make sure the customer has to come back)

If you have a shop you can TRUST use them so you know it will be done right. Or pay a buddy who has the knowledge and time to do it for you.

Old 11-28-2006, 12:15 PM

I have a family owned shop I can take it to..... but, I may just wait until christmas break and do it myself..... The shop I go to guarantees their work for like 2 years, so i'm not worried about them doing it wrong, because they will fix it..... however, I can't do without the truck ttill after december 12th.... so I'll probably just do it myself on a day off.......

Old 11-28-2006, 12:26 PM

Cool on doing it yourself.

As for the wrong doing, they will do the job right, but its the other parts that might get wacked.

I know, I have delt with over 50 shops that have done this to cars. I have personally taken my car to places to have stuff done to test these shops (and seeing as I am normally the only one that wrenches on it I know when something has been done differently). God if I only sued 1/2 these places for shady crap, oh the dreams. But it was more so for friends that had been shafted by these places. You should see them ****e as you pull in with a 34 coupe delux. They get scared. Kind of wished I never sold that one.

Any how, good luck.

Old 11-28-2006, 03:19 PM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: a_tack

Okay... i'm afraid my truck needs new ball joints.... I have the classic front end pop and it is starting to get to me........ How much will it be to replace them? Iknow some of you have done this yourself and have had it done for you. . . so how much did it set you back?

I was quoted $550.00 out the door at MERLINS for uppers and lowers with an alignment, the ball joints are MOOGS. Im not sure if you have merlins muffler and brakes down there but 550$ installed with lifetime warranties is great by me.

Quick Reply: How much will it cost me?