2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

How to tell if 4wd works?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:35 PM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How to tell if 4wd works?

I've got a 95 4wd, and I'm not sure how to tell if the 4wd works.

I know that I could go out and find a mudhole somewhere and have someone outside watching the front tires to see if they are spinning.

Any other methods come to mind to see if the front tires are actually pulling?

I can't feel much difference in the steering of the rig when 2 or 4 wd is engaged.

Thanks for any ideas!

Old 12-16-2006, 01:53 PM
magnum434 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: How to tell if 4wd works?

when you would turn corners on dry pavement in 4WD...it would just reallly feel like something is holding u back. It would almost brake for you. You might also hear your front tires make some kindof like...skiding sounds? i dont know if thats the right word..

Old 12-16-2006, 02:15 PM
RedBlaze is an unknown quantity at this point

you could take it to a local shop and get them to put it on the lift while in 4 wheel drive to see if all 4 tires spin. they probably wouldnt charge you anything to check it real quick.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:28 PM
nofear17bmx is an unknown quantity at this point

Or you could do what I do...just floor it in 2wd to see the back tires spin. Then put it in 4x4 and slam it, and the rear tires wont spin.

Old 12-16-2006, 08:53 PM
a_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud ofa_tack has much to be proud of

go with bmx's method...but do it in gravel, less of a chance of tearing stuff up...lol

Old 12-16-2006, 10:13 PM
lochenjons is an unknown quantity at this point

Or just look underneath as its moving slowly to see if both the rear and front drivsshafts are spinning. But if your hubs are bad then you wnt really get 4wd, are they manual or auto locking hubs? a 95 so I'm sure auto. thats how I was able to tell if there was a partime kit in np203

Old 12-16-2006, 11:33 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Find a dry, paved parking lot and make a slow, tight turn (steering wheel all the way in either direction). If the front axle is engauged you will feel a very prominent jerking or bucking of the front end (called crow hop for some reason). If you don't notice it in 4wd then the front axle is not being driven by the front prop shaft or the front axle is not locking together. Itshould not crow hop in 2wd.

Old 12-17-2006, 12:31 PM
swearingsailor6 is an unknown quantity at this point

that is also a good way to break something...if you do it, make sure that you are going slow enough not to cause any breakage....I would personally find a gravel road and do the turn thing, or the spinning tires thing....but I wouldn't personally do it on pavement.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:43 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: swearingsailor6

that is also a good way to break something...if you do it, make sure that you are going slow enough not to cause any breakage....I would personally find a gravel road and do the turn thing, or the spinning tires thing....but I wouldn't personally do it on pavement.
ARE YOU SERIOUS???????? What exactly do you think will break by turning around on dry pavement in 4wd? This is EXACTLY how G.M. recommends for us to determine if the front axle is engauging and it will absolutely not damage anything on the truck! PLEASE...if you don't know about what you are posting...then please don't post it!

Old 12-18-2006, 02:30 AM
gizwilly is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the help guys.

Finally drove past a spot where there was a bunch of loose gravel on an extremely uphill grade. Pulled over...kicked the wife out...dropped it into 4-hi and told her to watch the front tires to see if they spun. Goosed the throttle enuf to break loose the rear tires.....and the wife grinned, hopped back in and gave me a big thumbs up on the fronts!

Thanks again!

Quick Reply: How to tell if 4wd works?