2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I did it, SEAFOAM & other things, 1 question though

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 06:44 PM
cr8390 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I did it, SEAFOAM & other things, 1 question though

Well i finally did it, i seafoamed my truck today and lemme tell you i feel a much better difference. Its a 1999 with only 82,000 on it and i have never done it but i figured it was time. The thing was i couldnt decide whether to do it from the vacum line or the TB so i went with the way Kyle does it and did it by the TB. I worked perfectly, i did have a little bit of trouble getting it started afterwards but all in all i got it and it runs awsome. I dida bottle of seafoam in the TB and half of bottle in the oil andthe rest in the gas tank. I alsocleaned my EGR valve and bought a new EGR valve gasket, i changed my front differental fluid (will do rear soon) and changed my oil.

Question with the rear differental do i have to take out that back cover that cost 17 bucks, or can i just drain it from a plug and refill it? Like i said 99 4x4 3 button, automatic.

Thanks BTW heres the video i shot of seafoamin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYiFNiPgIZs

Old 12-26-2008, 08:17 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default RE: I did it, SEAFOAM & other things, 1 question though

Just pull the plug and save yourself the money on a new gasket...UNLESS the gear oil comes out like a milkshake. If it does, pull the cover and spray, spray, spray with brake cleaner until the case and gears are clean.

Old 12-26-2008, 08:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The only plug that is there is the fill plug. You would have to use some sort of pumping device to get it out through the fill hole.

Anytime I service a differential, I pull the cover and go crazy with a can or two of brake cleaner.

And that looked about right for a seafoam treatment! Fun fun! I try to always do it while it down at my dads place now cause there are less neighbors to **** off!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:29 PM

lol i did it in the day time so not many people were home and it was funny for seeing maintence people doing stuff to one of my neighbors house, they were just starting lol. But yea thanks about the rear dif i guess ill pull the cover soon one more thing how many quarts are in the rear dif and is the fill plug in some stupid place like the front dif? Thanks

Old 12-26-2008, 08:31 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Just posted this in another thread. Applies here as well:
Rear Axle Service

DIY Section FTW!!

Old 12-26-2008, 11:14 PM

lol thanks again your awsome!

Old 12-27-2008, 03:28 AM
buccaru is an unknown quantity at this point

Instead of dropping the money on a new gasket, I just use red RTV Gasket Maker. I've used it on the rear differential and transmission and haven't had a drop of leak. I also used it on the EGR valve, then sprayed soapy water from a mister bottle around it, ran the engine up, and didn't have an leaking or sucking there, either. It takes some practice to get it right. You have to make it real smooth - licking your fingers constantly helps. I'm an aircraft mechanic and use it at work religiously.

I've never used or seen anyone use seafoam before. That's pretty dang cool!

Old 12-27-2008, 05:46 AM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

I wouldn't advise using rtv on the egr spend the couple bucks for the screened gasket saves taking it off to clean again next month.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:46 PM

yea i alrdy bought and installed the egr gasket i also cleaned the inside of the egr. I also would rather use the gasket i dont like waiting for things to cure or i dont want any possiblility of leaking, just rather through the gasket on and screw everything togethor.

But yea about the seafoam it worked great it's not sluggish anymore its running alot better, i decided im going to do it once every oil change.

Old 12-27-2008, 03:31 PM
buccaru is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, waiting for the stuff to cure can be pretty annoying, especially if it's cold and takes longer.

After seeing your video and a couple of the others on YouTube, I believe that I'll go ahead and do the seafoam too.

Quick Reply: I did it, SEAFOAM & other things, 1 question though