2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I need help

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2005, 03:46 PM
beanie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default I need help

I have a 97 Blazer with 98K miles. I couldn't get it to start this morning. It would crank then "click" but it wouldn't turn over. I know I am going to need the serpentine belt replaced & the transmission fluid flushed. Does anyone know what it could be?

Thanks for your help!

Old 10-04-2005, 12:52 AM
LoLoS10Blazer87 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: I need help

Sounds like possibly the battery or alternator.

If the battery has a bad cell, it won't take the charge from the alternator and won't hold a charge for nothin.

If the alternator is bad, it won't properly charge the battery and you will basically be running off the battery.

Sounds like the battery was pretty dead if it turned over, then just clicked. I'd say charge the battery and see if it happens again. Take it to AutoZone (or another auto parts store) and have the battery and alternator tested.

Make sure all wires from the battery to the alternator have a good connection.

These are just the first things that pop to mind.

Old 10-04-2005, 03:00 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. Anytime it just goes click. Battery doesn't have enough juice. Why is another story.
Get them tested like recommended. That way you'll know for sure which it is.

Has the tranny fluid ever been changed before?
I recommend dropping the tranny pan, draining it, and reinstalling the pan with a new gasket, new filter, and install a tranny drain plug. Replace the 4-5 quarts of fluid. In 25,000 miles drain the pan using the newly installed drian plug and fill it back up, again about 4-5 quarts of tranny fluid. Repeat every 25,000 miles until it dies, then get it rebuilt.

The problem with doing a tranny flush is the age of fluid in there. A flush changes all the fluid, with a higher mileage tranny and never had a fluid change you don't want to swap out all the fluid at once. You will cause more problems that will lead to premature tranny failure. It is best to change it gradually. The tranny system holds about 11-12 quarts of fluid, each time you drain the pan you change about 4-5 quarts. You only need to replace the filter when you drop the pan. The tranny is not like the oil system in your truck. The tranny is not subject to dirt from the outside world. It is a sealed unit, and the only dirt to get in it is from tranny parts. If your filter is getting plugged up with tranny debris, its time for a rebuild. Make sense?

Old 10-04-2005, 11:21 AM

I know it's not the battery or the alternator since I've had those replaced within the last 2 years (the alternator was replaced this year). I haven't had the transmission fluid changed so I know it's something I need to get done. I had to have it towed last night to a place we go to get our vehicles fixed. I know I am due for a tune up anyways. I'll keep you posted...

Thanks much for your input...much appreciated!

-Cheryl

Old 10-04-2005, 04:53 PM

Well I got it fixed...
The distributor cap was cracked & I had a new rotor put in & now it's purring like a kitty...

The transmission fluid is next on my list to do on the truck.

thanks!

Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Your welcome.

glad you got it fixed.