2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I need help, please.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 04:17 PM
Starting Member
rockold is on a distinguished road
Default I need help, please.

I changed out power brake booster in my '96 Blazer. Everything's back in place, except I can't attach the brake light switch to brake pedal (actually can't get the retaining clip back on. Just can't do it. I also can't get out of park. This is the 1st real job I've done to fix my own vehicle. Any feedback?

Old 02-20-2014, 05:37 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The retainer clip, the switch, and the pin, all pretty much go on together, then flip the retainer down to lock it in place.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:41 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

And you wont get it out of park until you get the switch right

Old 02-20-2014, 06:05 PM
Starting Member

thanks. i see what u mean. step by step: the booster rod is put on the brake pedal. done. brake light switch goes on next. done. for some reason, there's not enough room afterward to fit the clip on. so i can't get it to slide and then clip. i measured the thickness of the old and new booster rods (where the pedal pin goes) and they're the same, so the booster rod and brake light switch thickness should fit on the pedal pin with enough length of the pin for the retainer clip to fit on. strangely, it doesn't.

I was pretty happy that I did my 1st successful job on my Blazer and now I have this small complicated problem at the end. I just cannot create the same amount of room for the clip to catch on. it was there before I took the clip off. can't compress things enough to fit the clip either. can't believe a 1/4 oz. clip can hold up the whole project. worst part is that it's the final piece. sucks.

Old 02-20-2014, 06:18 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Put the switch on the booster rod, make sure the holes are lined up. Slide the rod, with the switch in place, onto the brake pedal pin, install the clip. Plug in the electrical connector.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 02-20-2014 at 06:28 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 06:34 PM
Starting Member

I appreciate your help. i know i'm supposed to hold the flange of the clip up with a flat head so i can put the clip on. i can do that, but there's simply nothing left of the brake pedal pin length to fit thru the hole of the retainer clip. the switch and rode of the booster take up the whole pin length, so there's nothing left to hold the clip on. is there a tool or special trick, bcuz i can't do it.

it's almost like a twighlight zone episode where things aren't the same as they were when u return by the same route u went.