2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition/Starting Problems Everyone Stumped

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 11:35 PM
Beginning Member
Naydog101 is on a distinguished road
Red face Ignition/Starting Problems Everyone Stumped

So a few weeks ago I got my fuel pump replaced (with an AcDelco) and the fuel filter. For a week or two everything was running fine, but a few days ago in the morning my truck wouldn't start. After putting a little fuel in the carb it started right up and ran fine all day, but every morning I had to do the fuel in carb thing, but it would run fine rest of the day. Then one day it decided it didn't want to start when ever it was turned off. So what is wrong? Everyone I know is stumped and say sensor here sensor there but none are sure.

So 1998 chevy blazer 2 door. fuel pump and filter replaced 3 weeks ago. Truck won't start unless I put some fuel or starter fluid in the carb and then runs perfectly fine and no check engine light. Help?

Old 06-20-2013, 07:09 AM
spittybays

Wow. Looked at your old posts, seems like your having quite the ordeal with this.
You said "I got my fuel pump replaced" does that mean you took it to a shop?
If so did you bring your own part or have them source it?
It sure sounds like you got a bad pump out of the box or you have a leak under the plenum.
I see you did your own intake gaskets so doing the leakdown should be no problem for you, the procedure is all over the board. Key on engine off 65 to start no lower then 55 after ten min.
Isolating the pump is key, two different ways to do that, one way is on youtube with some vice grips and care not damage the rubber lines. The second is to take the pressure right at the fuel filter. There are pic's of the one Cptn Hook rigged to his pressure gage all over the board, look for them I don't have it at my finger tips.

If you own this truck you need to BUY a fuel pressure gage, best forty bucks you will ever spend.

Bad ground to the pump is not an uncommon source for this also bad relay slightly less common but possible.

Last edited by spittybays; 06-20-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: Ground
Old 06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
Wow. Looked at your old posts, seems like your having quite the ordeal with this.
You said "I got my fuel pump replaced" does that mean you took it to a shop?
If so did you bring your own part or have them source it?
It sure sounds like you got a bad pump out of the box or you have a leak under the plenum.
I see you did your own intake gaskets so doing the leakdown should be no problem for you, the procedure is all over the board. Key on engine off 65 to start no lower then 55 after ten min.
Isolating the pump is key, two different ways to do that, one way is on youtube with some vice grips and care not damage the rubber lines. The second is to take the pressure right at the fuel filter. There are pic's of the one Cptn Hook rigged to his pressure gage all over the board, look for them I don't have it at my finger tips.

If you own this truck you need to BUY a fuel pressure gage, best forty bucks you will ever spend.

Bad ground to the pump is not an uncommon source for this also bad relay slightly less common but possible.
I do own the truck and did buy the fuel pump and filter myself and took it to a shop for the work. but why would the truck run fine after I prime it myself? I don't smell or hear anything weird, plus my truck just rolled over 200,000.

Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 AM
spittybays

If there are really no pump or pressure problems then it could have something to do with the prime circuit. The couple of seconds you hear the pump come on when you turn the key, it also does it when you turn the key off, so there's less to do next time you start. You could start by swapping the fuel pump solenoid with one that's next to it, mine are in the glove box, you should hear it click when you turn the key on.

On mine there is a circuit from the oil pressure switch that gives an extra voltage supply to the pump after oil pressure comes up to a certain level, my understanding is it was fazed out in later models. Not sure if yours still has it. Try doing some research on that. Could be why it runs once it gets going.

Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM
Beginning Member

ok so I got it to a shop today and they got it hooked up to test the fuel pressure, first before start it was way below like at 40-45, but after we started it the pressure was bouncing all over, well between 55-65. He said it was the regulator and I wanted to maybe confirm that here cause i think he got confused cause he was telling me it was the fuel spider and was like $600 but I checked autozone and a regulator was like $45. Granted he may have been waking up still cause I went first thing this morning. But what do u guys think? Regulator? Spider? Both? And how tough a job would this be? A little easier then an intake manifold gasket? Cause I did that one. And how much damage am I looking at if I put it off for a week or two?

P.S. any links to a detailed disassemble of the engine compartment for 98 blazer to get the upper manifold off? I found one one time when I did the intake manifold gasket, but not sure if I got that lying around anymore. Thanks.

Last edited by Naydog101; 06-24-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 02:57 PM
Beginning Member
Exclamation Someone Please HELP! me with what is going on!

2-3 years ago my fuel pump went out and I replaced it myself with an off brand pump. It lasted till about a month ago when that one went out as well. I came here and learned it's best to use AcDelco with the Blazers so I sprang for one. got the work done at my mechanics shop and was on my way.

Everything was fine for a week or two when I went out one morning and it wouldn't start. Ended up putting a little fuel in the throttle body and it woke up and ran all day. A few days later it decided it didn't want to start whenever it was turned off, so I had to buy some starting fluid to get it to start, but it always ran fine when running, no weird sounds or smells. Eventually I found myself at my mechanics shop checking the pressure and when off the pressure was at 45 or so, too low, and when running the needle was bouncing between 60 and 55. They said it was the fuel pressure regulator.

Today I bought I new regulator and changed it myself, (not to bad of a job actually) and then started the new problem.....it wouldn't start! I figured it was due to the new regulator and sprayed some starter fluid into the throttle body and got it going though choppy. It stuttered, it coughed, but it got going, but it didn't like the gas pedal being pressed, in fact I took it around the block and it paused a few times and when I stopped and put it in park I slowly revved it up really high. It coughed at first but then roared and when I let go of the gas it sputtered and coughed then died and a weird electrical kinda coolant smell came form the vents.

I sprayed some starter fluid and got it running again and took it back to my mechanics shop. On the way it died when going up a hill (luckly on top) cause it didn't want to engage the overdrive and same smell as before came out. When I got it there they checked the pressure and it's still at 45 when off, but now the pressure is steady at 55,56 when we got it running. (interesting though I couldn't get it to stall and die when at the shop or cough and shutter?) Now they are telling me I must have got a bad fuel pump cause it runs perfectly fine when running and now the pressure is steady but just really low. Also the truck ran fine all the way home, I could rev it, floor it with no sputter or cough or imminent dying.

IS THERE ANYTHING ELSE THAT CAN BE CAUSING THE PRESSURE TO BE LOW BESIDES YET ANOTHER FUEL PUMP? What are your thoughts on this situation? My next option is to remove the fuel pump and take it back to AutoZone to warranty it and hopefully get labor covered in the warranty as well. I'm getting tired of these constant little problems that stack up, but it's got to be expected with a 200,000 mile 98 Blazer.

Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

When is the last time the fuel filter was changed? And when you had the intake apart to change the FPR did you notice any areas that weren't black but instead a gold/shiny color? That would indicate a leak in your injectors. Doesn't really sound like the problem but could be

Old 06-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 97cherryblazer
When is the last time the fuel filter was changed? And when you had the intake apart to change the FPR did you notice any areas that weren't black but instead a gold/shiny color? That would indicate a leak in your injectors. Doesn't really sound like the problem but could be
Sorry I should have mentioned the Filter was changed with the fuel pump about a month ago. Yes there was gold/shiny areas but only near the rear under/around the FPR. no gold/shiny spots around or near the injectors

Old 06-27-2013, 04:02 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*I have combined two threads on the same. Please keep it all in one so we can follow what you have done.*

Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
*I have combined two threads on the same. Please keep it all in one so we can follow what you have done.*
I noticed, thank you and sorry.

Quick Reply: Ignition/Starting Problems Everyone Stumped