2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Ignition Swith check and or remove

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2010, 02:23 PM
Beginning Member
corvetteman is on a distinguished road
Default Ignition Swith check and or remove

Hello, I’m new to your forum. I have a 1995 Blazes S10 with the 4.3 V6. As of last Saturday with -17 degrees my wife hit the (aftermarket) remote start and nothing happened.

I went out to the truck using the key and it would not turn over so I tried again and the starter did in gage but did not start right a way so I turned the key off and tried again and got nothing once again.

Long story short I used a screw driver at the solenoid with the key in the run position and the starter kicked in so the starter is good.
Tried at the key again and nothing. Wiggled the key around and it kicked in the starter.

I now after reading other posts started to remove the ignition switch but am now wondering if it may be the ignition lock cylinder and not the switch?

Is there a way to test the switch before I spend the money on a new one?

I have it exposed and pulled away from the lock assembly but can not get the white connector that has two wires on it off the top cylinder housing.

It has a pin on it that comes into the cylinder so I pushed it up to clear the cylinder housing but it will not come of?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

The ignition switch and ignition key cylinder are two different things. Have a look at this post and see if it helps out any.

Old 01-06-2010, 03:25 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

All you need to do is twist it to remove it the only thing it does is sences when the key is in the ignition, makes the ding noise.

Old 01-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

These might help you as well:
Ignition Switch Replacement - Book Method...
Ignition Switch Replacement

Both are found in the Tech Article (DIY) section.

Old 01-07-2010, 12:42 PM
Beginning Member

Okay I was able to replace the ignition switch but some how in the process the button on top the column you push to turn on the four way flashers on broke off and they are stuck on.
The truck has two flashers one for the four way and one for the turn signals only problem is when I pull the one four the four way the turn signals don’t work?
Is there any way to disable the four way flashers?

I just found out I can get a replacement switch at the local used parts dealer but I need to remove it myself.

Does anyone know how to remove it from the steering column? Thanks

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-07-2010 at 02:00 PM. Reason: Combining Consecutive Posts - Please use the EDIT function to add additional inforamtion to your post if another member has yet to reply. Consecutive Posting is prohibited by the rules of the forum.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look in the Tech Article (DIY) section. Or you could search for "hazard+switch".

Old 01-07-2010, 02:56 PM
Beginning Member

Thank you so much swartlkk, I found a procedure in the DIY section by Taymacjack on Broken Hazard Switch Repair. Thank god I have a 95 this will work great I took it out already just need to go to the dealer near me to get the part which they have for $21 – Thanks again!
And Thank You Taymacjack for posting it…