2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Im eating distributers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Beginning Member
nonblazing4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Im eating distributers.

04/21/09 was when i got my 2001 blazer 4x4 lt was 196000 miles on it back from the shop. About a week earlier i was driving down the road and i hit the gas it kinda backfired and starts to sputter. I pulled over and shut it off and tried to restarted it but it would turn over just never fire. When i got it back from the shop the said that i had broke a tooth off the distributer, $279 with a used distributer. Yesterday i was coming back from swimming and was getting on the interstate when it quit on me again. I have taking it to the same shop to have them look at it. I have to questions about it. If it turns out to be the same thing, which i really think it is, what could be causing it to tear up the distributer like that. Second question, should i have to pay for it since i just got it out of there shop on 04/21/09.
Thanks
Daniel

Old 05-08-2009, 01:16 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Did they shop offer any kinda of warranty on labor or parts? If not, then you'll have to pay for it. If the distributor is messed up again, by a new one next time.

Old 05-08-2009, 03:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

More than likely, the first gear break damaged the drive gear that is part of the cam. If it gets damaged, then you will continually tear up the distributor gear. Sounds like you need to get that cam checked out.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Beginning Member

i will find out what the say when the give me a call here shortly. Would you happen to know what might the cost range be if there was any damage to the cam. Luckly for me last friday i was laid off from work like most people so i need it fixed cheaps as possaible untill i get back to work.

Old 05-08-2009, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A cam will not be cheap.

Old 05-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Beginning Member

Are there any numbers you could give me.

Old 05-08-2009, 07:28 PM
Administrator

Search for a replacement cam, then add around 15 hours book time to replace. It should not take 15 hours, but it depends on the shop whether they charge actual time or book time.

The stock cam should be PN 10241691 which comes up on GMPartsDirect.com for $180. Now if the shop you choose charges book time and it costs $70/hr, that will be over $1k in labor... Hopefully you can find someplace that knows what they are doing, does not cost an arm and a leg, and does not charge book time.

Old 05-08-2009, 08:17 PM
Beginning Member

I have taken all of my work to the shop so if it does come down to that i would hope they give me a fair rate. how long do you think i would take to put a cam in. With close to 200000 miles on it i have been debating on getting a motor swap. What would a shop charge by the book for a swap.
Thanks for all the quick responces btw

Old 05-09-2009, 09:46 PM
Beginning Member
pug817 is on a distinguished road

check autozone.com or pepboys.com you can get a remanufactured distribitor with life time warnty for aroun 115.00 new dist. for around 200.00

Old 05-10-2009, 12:12 PM
Administrator

That still does not fix the cause of the problem.

Quick Reply: Im eating distributers.