2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

I'm at wits end over 4wd

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2011, 04:02 AM
Beginning Member
footbrake is on a distinguished road
Default I'm at wits end over 4wd

Well after spending 7 hours and $385.00 in my friends repair shop I still had to have my car flatbeded to another shop. Was having trouble with the 4wd not disengaging or engaging. After numerous answers from qualified mechanics saying that it was the actuator on the transfer case not working we put another one in. Still no worky So we called the auto parts store and told them the korean **** you sent was no good. They sent another on. Guess what? no worky again.
What's worse is that the whole vehicle is always in neutral no matter what gear I put it in. It's like there isn't any driveshafts in it. Now we try to put the old actuator back in and it will not line up with the paddle deal on the transfer case no matter what we do. So now I have to pay for the new actuator because that's the only one that will line up. Car is still in neutral wherever I put the shifter and now no lights light up at all on the 4wd panel. We checked all the fuses and wiring. My buddy was beside himself also after having 20 years in the repair business and spending all day with this.
So last night I had it flatbeded to my other buddies shop to look at. Good thing I had AAA. What could be wrong with this. thanks for any help

Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The "always in neutral no matter what gear I put it in" sounds like the transfer case is stuck between 4HI & 4LO (effectively Neutral). Can you manually rotate the shift sector shaft with a wrench to change the gears?

BTW, what are you working on? Not just year/make/model info, but... What does it have for a transfer case? How many buttons are on the dash? etc.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM
Beginning Member

I don't know what transfer case it is but there are 4 buttons for the 4wd

Old 10-28-2011, 12:17 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

There should be a red/white round sticker on the transfer case. it'll say something like np203 etc.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:03 PM
Beginning Member

Well it's at my friends shop right now and he's trying his luck with it, so I can't tell you what the sticker says right now.

Old 10-28-2011, 01:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

4-button == NV236 which brings its own little complexities into the equation.

Does the 'Service 4wd' light come on in the dash? If so, have you had the TCCM scanned for codes? It may give you a direction to go in for troubleshooting. With the NV236, even a dirty/corroded connection between the switch in the dash and the TCCM itself can cause some very random/weird problems to occur.

Old 10-28-2011, 02:39 PM
Beginning Member

Here's what happened. Last week my friend had a 99 blazer , just like mine in his shop with the 4wd not working. He took my computor from the right kick panel out of my car and put it in the customers car to see if it would fix his 4wd problem. My 4wd was **** since then and did not work right after he replaced it back itno my car. I am thinking what ever was wrong with the other car hurt mine after he put it back in mine. What do you think? Or it was a coincdence. I really don't think so

Old 10-28-2011, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Could damage occur by swapping a TCCM into another vehicle that already has a problem? Sure, anything is possible. Bent pins, voltage surge, improper grounding, etc can all occur when swapping electrical components, especially if there is a problem with the vehicle that is not diagnosed prior to attempting a swap. This is the problem with so many mechanics today. VERY few of them actually know much of anything beyond swapping parts as a diagnostic tool or they forgot it all along the way, instead they just pass their inadequacies on to you when you get the bill. Sounds like your "mechanic" used your vehicle as a guinea pig and now has screwed you in his shortcut.

To actually get to the bottom of your problem, start with what I have mentioned. I have taken the systematic approach that I started to lay out to you on many different vehicles and in the end have always found the source of the problem prior to replacing a single component.

Old 10-28-2011, 03:15 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for all your help and advice. I really think he should take care of this completely. The first mechanic that put the actuator in did so from what his scan tool and codes told him was wrong. Well there's $385.00 out the window because I probably didn't need the actuator. I'm not happy at all. He's gonna say that I had someone else work on it first and he's not responsible, after it was him that started the whole thing by swapping my good part into another car to diagnose his problem. Oh well my blood pressure is sky high and I'm waiting to hear from hom about the outcome. thanks again

Old 01-15-2012, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member
coolen is on a distinguished road

did you ever hear back?

Quick Reply: I'm at wits end over 4wd