2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Impending doom

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member
Panzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Impending doom

I've had my 2004 ZR2 2-door since it was new and never had any problems with it. But now it feels like time is catching up and a number of things are getting ready to fail all at once. I don't know where to spend my limited funds to stave off the end.

First of all, I have a strong smell of anti-freeze in the cabin, but can't find any wet spots and the heater and defroster work fine. A heater core won't cost much, but is hell to take out and install the new one.

Then it's the AC, which squeeks and hesitates intermittently but still cools very well. I unplugged the clutch so it can freewheel, but now I have no AC working.

The battery goes dead when it sits a while and the voltage meter shows a slight discharge when it's running. Plus, it hesitates a couple turns before it starts, then runs just fine.

I replaced the serpentine belt and tightened all the wiring connectors and it felt better for a while, but still starts hard, smells like anti-freeze inside, and registers a discharge. The spark plugs and wires are the only things I've never replaced. Other than that, I've kept it serviced.

Any thoughts from those wiser than I?

Attached Thumbnails Impending doom-picture-396.jpg  
Old 11-16-2011, 03:03 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Panzer
I've had my 2004 ZR2 2-door since it was new and never had any problems with it. But now it feels like time is catching up and a number of things are getting ready to fail all at once. I don't know where to spend my limited funds to stave off the end.

First of all, I have a strong smell of anti-freeze in the cabin, but can't find any wet spots and the heater and defroster work fine. A heater core won't cost much, but is hell to take out and install the new one.
the core might have a small seam leak and it is evaporating off...dash has to come out.

Then it's the AC, which squeeks and hesitates intermittently but still cools very well. I unplugged the clutch so it can freewheel, but now I have no AC working.
that squeal might be the compressor on its way out...not a priority going into winter....depends where you live.

The battery goes dead when it sits a while and the voltage meter shows a slight discharge when it's running. Plus, it hesitates a couple turns before it starts, then runs just fine.
try a local auto parts store that will test your battery and alternator for free...its one of those. guessing alternator

I replaced the serpentine belt and tightened all the wiring connectors and it felt better for a while, but still starts hard, smells like anti-freeze inside, and registers a discharge. The spark plugs and wires are the only things I've never replaced. Other than that, I've kept it serviced.

Any thoughts from those wiser than I?
if i were you i would do the core before it totally fails and then you will have a real mess on your hands.
plugs and wires....depends on your mileage.

Old 11-16-2011, 05:33 PM
TouringMike is on a distinguished road

Make sure your battery cable connections are clean at both the battery, alternator, and starter.
If you have a voltmeter or Multimeter, check the battery voltage with the engine off. Should be right around 12V, +/- a volt.
Also check the battery with the engine idling. Should read 12.5 volts minimum (up to 14 volts). If less than 12.7V or over 14.5V, your alternator/voltage regulator is bad.

Old 11-16-2011, 06:59 PM
Beginning Member
Panzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default My thanks

I'll start with the cheap and easy and then ramp it up when I have to. Heater core is a must and so is an AC compressor, then. I'll follow your lead on the electrical. Plugs are 108,000, so I'll replace those and the wires anyhow.

Glad I have the Vettes for backup, but they're not much good in the Oklahoma winters and you can't do work out of them.