2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Install Front Drive Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2013, 08:03 PM
Qzf74s is on a distinguished road
Default 4x4 Component diagram out there?

Bought a 2000 gmc jimmy with 124k. Moron before me removed the front drive shaft to "fool" me to think that the 4x4 worked when I pushed the button. Could be a million issues. I am trying to understand how the transfer case is operated? I understand that the vacuum actuator operates the front diff, but what engages the transfer case, etc. Is there a diagram on how this system works?!? I see the Chilton Manuals do not cover 4x4 components.

Last edited by Qzf74s; 12-04-2013 at 12:26 PM. Reason: clarfication
Old 12-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Question Install Front Drive Shaft

I am replacing the front drive shaft on my 00 GMC Jimmy and then of course need to troubleshoot the 4x4 problems. Can someone assist or provide info for the proper way to install the driveshaft? Thanks!

Old 12-06-2013, 02:12 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

if you have that transfercase where the spline section sticking out the front of it the driveshaft just kinda snaps onto it, give it a tap with a rubber hammer. its a fun time just trying to get that thing back up under the truck

Old 12-06-2013, 02:52 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

And make sure the snap ring is still in the groove on the splined output on the T/C.

Old 12-08-2013, 09:47 AM

What is the purpose of the snap ring?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:23 AM
Beginning Member
JCola is on a distinguished road

It (snap ring) holds the shaft in place.. Its not a hard job I replaced a front CV axel, both front wheel bearings, and breaks in about 2 hrs.. I am just a guy trying to save a buck not a mechanic. The hardest part is getting a good angle to tap the shaft out of the transfer case.. I had to use an extended punch (flat end so I wouldn't make a hole) and a larger hammer due to restricted space.. once that is out get the axel as strait as possible tap the axel nut end so it snaps in.. Once it is all back together between the snap ring and the rest of the assembly holds everything together..

Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 AM

Thanks. I would have totally overlooked the snap ring! Fortunately, the shaft is already off. Once I get it on, I can begin to determine why the previous owner removed it.

Old 12-10-2013, 09:43 AM
Beginning Member
JCola is on a distinguished road

It is there it is all pre assembled so there is not much to it. I got a replacement from autozone and with the core charge it was about $60.. but since you don't have the old one looking at about $75ish.. Good luck!

Old 12-10-2013, 12:10 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

As you know the front differential is locked in through the use of a vacuum actuator that is located under the battery tray.

The transfer case uses an encoder motor to put the transfer case into operation. The electronics are under the passenger foot trim panel against the passenger side footwell.

Do the 4x4 selector switch buttons lite-up at all?

A good place to start is to check all the vacuum lines under the hood, especially driver's side, above the brake master cylinder. There is also a reservoir inside the driver's fender and the nipple is difficult to see; usually found only by feel. Check all the vacuum lines beginning at the engine.

Good luck.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:54 PM

Jcola, you got a whole front drive shaft for $70? I got a nice salvage, I am just having trouble finding the snap ring for the transfer case spline.

Quick Reply: Install Front Drive Shaft