2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installing an Engineered Cooling Products Aluminum Radiator

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 05:24 AM
Beginning Member
John Riley is on a distinguished road

thank you

Old 08-24-2019, 02:07 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

Got my radiator ordered and it should be here Wednesday. I'm going to hopefully get it installed the week after Labor Day, since I'll be on vacation. Going to be installing a new engine at the same time, so I'll be pretty busy, but I can't wait to report back how it works.

Old 08-24-2019, 09:35 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tom A
Got my radiator ordered and it should be here Wednesday. I'm going to hopefully get it installed the week after Labor Day, since I'll be on vacation. Going to be installing a new engine at the same time, so I'll be pretty busy, but I can't wait to report back how it works.
Yes, be sure to report how it works for you and your installation. It'll be good for comparison. Are you installing a V6 or V8?

Old 08-24-2019, 10:18 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by christine_208
Yes, be sure to report how it works for you and your installation. It'll be good for comparison. Are you installing a V6 or V8?
Just a stock Goodwrench 4.3 V-6. I'll try to remember to take pics, too.

Old 09-09-2019, 05:34 PM
BF Veteran

So, the radiator fit perfectly, except for a couple of super minor issues:
  • There was a wiring harness with a battery cable that goes between the radiator support and the original radiator. I had to relocate that so the radiator would go far enough forward for the locating pins on the bottom to fit properly.
  • I need to make a new top hold-down (but I already knew about that).
  • My metal A/C lines that go to the condenser made contact with the new radiator on the passenger side. I was afraid they might eventually rub through, so I carefully "massaged" them for some clearance.
Other than that, everything went perfectly. I can't wait to drive it and see how it cools. I didn't get a picture, but I'll try to after I make a hold-down.

Thanks for doing all the research and letting us know about ECP.

Old 09-09-2019, 08:00 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enoughchristine_208 will become famous soon enough

So, the radiator fit perfectly, except for a couple of super minor issues:
  • There was a wiring harness with a battery cable that goes between the radiator support and the original radiator. I had to relocate that so the radiator would go far enough forward for the locating pins on the bottom to fit properly.
  • I need to make a new top hold-down (but I already knew about that).
  • My metal A/C lines that go to the condenser made contact with the new radiator on the passenger side. I was afraid they might eventually rub through, so I carefully "massaged" them for some clearance.
Other than that, everything went perfectly. I can't wait to drive it and see how it cools. I didn't get a picture, but I'll try to after I make a hold-down.

Thanks for doing all the research and letting us know about ECP.
You are very welcome and to be honest, I am a bit relieved to know it seems to have been a good install for you too. I would have hated it not have worked out for someone else.

Your additional points are good ones. I had forgotten to note the need to remove the clips for the wiring harness the runs from the driver's side to passenger side across the bottom of the shelf the supports the radiator. Thanks for mentioning it. I also had to bend a bracket that supports one of the tubes that came from the condenser to prevent it from rubbing against the side of the radiator.

Did you need the oil cooler to be installed in the radiator like I did? Are you using an electric fan?

Be sure to post pics.

Old 09-09-2019, 09:53 PM
BF Veteran

You are very welcome and to be honest, I am a bit relieved to know it seems to have been a good install for you too. I would have hated it not have worked out for someone else.

Your additional points are good ones. I had forgotten to note the need to remove the clips for the wiring harness the runs from the driver's side to passenger side across the bottom of the shelf the supports the radiator. Thanks for mentioning it. I also had to bend a bracket that supports one of the tubes that came from the condenser to prevent it from rubbing against the side of the radiator.

Did you need the oil cooler to be installed in the radiator like I did? Are you using an electric fan?

Be sure to post pics.
I'm not running an oil cooler and I have a manual transmission, so I didn't even need the transmission cooler that comes installed in the radiator. I'm also running Intrepid electric fans, which fit just as perfectly on the new radiator as they did on the old one.

Like I said, the "modifications" I had to make were really nothing, but I thought it would be good to mention them. It's probably going to be a couple of weeks before I can do the hold-down and take it for a test drive (that pesky work thing always gets in the way of my fun), but I'll be sure to post some pics.

Old 09-21-2019, 04:18 PM
BF Veteran

I finally got the hold-down done. It's made of 12 gauge aluminum with closed-cell foam padding between it and the top of the radiator. I think it turned out alright.

Old 09-21-2019, 05:38 PM
Starting Member
Tiffany28 is on a distinguished road
Default Need idea.im new of having a blazer

I brought 2001 Chevrolet blazer off from a guy. I drove it home and was stuck in 2nd gear.i had to buy a head gasket part also.i was wondering if I need a new transmission for my truck or throw it away.

Old 09-21-2019, 07:09 PM
BF Veteran

I finally got the hold-down done. It's made of 12 gauge aluminum with closed-cell foam padding between it and the top of the radiator. I think it turned out alright.

Nice and clean installation!

Quick Reply: Installing an Engineered Cooling Products Aluminum Radiator