2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Installing new rear calipers 2002 2wd

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Beginning Member
blanco36 is on a distinguished road
Default Installing new rear calipers 2002 2wd

After installing the new rear pads and rotors, and having an issue with them smoking and heating up really hot.... I took the advice of everyone on here and FINALLY got the new rear calipers....... They came loaded with pads... so question.....

Is there anyway possible that someone can give me a step by step installation process on these.... never replaced any before.... just want to make sure that I am doing it correctly.... never bled brakes before either...

Any help will be greatly appreciated.....

Thanks in advance...

Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
spittybays

Theres youtubes and write-ups all over just do some research. Sorry but what you want is a wall of type. You will get it!

Old 02-15-2012, 02:27 PM
Beginning Member

that was my next step to check out youtube

Old 02-16-2012, 09:34 AM
Beginning Member

So, I pick up my new calipers at advance auto parts....they were the only place that had them in stock, slides greased really good...everything...
So, I get the rubber brake lines unhooked and hooked up to the new calipers..
Everything is going good...get the other side done..now I go to bleed the brakes...there were some air bubbles, got them out and I am done...so, before I put the tires back on, I started it up to make sure everything is good....pedal goes to the floor.....so I bleed the brakes 4 or 5 more times...same thing, start the truck, pedal is spongy and goes to the floor...I read on this site 100 times about brakes and so forth.... BUT me, I go off of the order no. for the calipers (this no. right side, this no. left side)So, now I have to take them apart and put them on the CORRECT side...bleeder valve is DOWN instead of UP...should have read about it 101 times...Drivers side SHOULD be left....they have it as the RIGHT side...

Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 AM
spittybays

Do crap like that every day of my life brother........

Old 02-16-2012, 11:50 AM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by blanco36
So, I pick up my new calipers at advance auto parts....they were the only place that had them in stock, slides greased really good...everything...
Everything is going good...get the other side done..now I go to bleed the brakes...there were some air bubbles, got them out and I am done...so, before I put the tires back on, I started it up to make sure everything is good....pedal goes to the floor.....so I bleed the brakes 4 or 5 more times...same thing, start the truck, pedal is spongy and goes to the floor...I read on this site 100 times about brakes and so forth.... BUT me, I go off of the order no. for the calipers (this no. right side, this no. left side)So, now I have to take them apart and put them on the CORRECT side...bleeder valve is DOWN instead of UP...should have read about it 101 times...Drivers side SHOULD be left....they have it as the RIGHT side...
Now the Calipers are on the correct side.. Did you Bleed them? How did it all work out?
Did you put the washers on the Banjo bolt correctly? If not you may get leaks where the Hose bolts to the Caliper. You didn't let the fluid empty out of the Master Cylinder reservoir, I hope.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM
Starting Member
bromanjr is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by blanco36
I have seen where the same parts (calipers in this case) are used on multiple vehicles and can be mounted on the front side of the axle or the rear side of the axle. In both cases the same pair of parts can be used but must be reversed from side to side to get the bleeders on top.

You listed you have 2WD, are yours mounted on the front or back side of the axle? On my 4WD they are on the front side.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Tony H
Now the Calipers are on the correct side.. Did you Bleed them? How did it all work out?
Did you put the washers on the Banjo bolt correctly? If not you may get leaks where the Hose bolts to the Caliper. You didn't let the fluid empty out of the Master Cylinder reservoir, I hope.
Getting ready to switch them around.....Master cylinder is still full.....

Will update when done......

Old 02-16-2012, 05:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bromanjr
I have seen where the same parts (calipers in this case) are used on multiple vehicles and can be mounted on the front side of the axle or the rear side of the axle. In both cases the same pair of parts can be used but must be reversed from side to side to get the bleeders on top.

You listed you have 2WD, are yours mounted on the front or back side of the axle? On my 4WD they are on the front side.
Mine are mounted on the backside of the axle.....

Old 02-16-2012, 05:08 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by spittybays
Do crap like that every day of my life brother........
So do I bro........

Quick Reply: Installing new rear calipers 2002 2wd