2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake gasket issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 01:09 AM
x5er3.0 is on a distinguished road
Default Intake gasket issue

Hello all,
First I want to say..this is a great forum..lot's of good people here..it's nice to read all the help everyone contributes..Maybe I can absorb some of it? I have a 97 s10 Blazer..has been a great truck..but recently started noticing I had to add little water every couple weeks to a month..anyhow i notice the intake leaking outside the front, so i decided to do the repair..I removed the upper plenum first then everything else..put it all back together ( now before I started this deal, the car ran pretty good, but has been sitting for a few weeks) i started it up to move it and it still ran pretty good but noticed the idel was slightly upset, so I figured it was time to get to the intake..anyhow, after i put it back together, went to start it and it fired right up and stalled..it will not idle,if i gas it and hold the pedal, i can keep it running, but it runs bad, seems like it's only running on 2 of the six cyl.i checked everything over, and timing it good..i havent looked if any pins are bent, but i will first thing tomorrow..but when i was cleaning up the lower intake,I tipped it on the side to scrape the old gasket, could that of messed up the spider injectors? I get two codes, and both are the 300 ( multiple misfires) ????I'm stumped

Old 07-30-2011, 11:29 AM
RobM is on a distinguished road

Are you sure the distribuor was put back in the correct place? First time I did this repair I was off just a little and had similar difficulties. Corrected it and the problem was solved.

Old 07-30-2011, 11:59 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i dont think tipping the spider would matter, i had mine upside down when i cleaned mine off.
i would say x2 on dist check it out, a little off would go along way to messing you up.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

To the "I made a mistake" thread I'll add that I crossed 2 plug wires but the distributor is also an easy one to get wrong. You have to have your marks unaligned slightly when dropping it in because it make a slight turn as the gears mesh.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 AM
Default timing is good

Thanks so much for the reply's....everyone...I checked the timing..everything is good on that, TDC second mark on the crank balancer, compression stroke (clockwise), dist. fully seated and rotor exactly lined up with ( 6) on base edge of dist. base...start it up and it runs so bad like several cyl. not firing..before i did the intake set, it ran and drove fine with the exception of a very , very slight un easy idle..which is pretty common on the mid 90's chevy i guess, anyhow, i took the plenum (upper) intake back off and figured. well what's the worst that can happen..right! I pulled each injector and looked at the ends which were gunked up with junk so i used break clean to clean each one at a time..put it back together and just figured what I did probably would'nt do anything..it started right up and idles, but code, misfire cyl 3 I'm getting now instead of multi-misfire..still runs like crap, but only appears to have one cyl. down instead of several now..still not sure what to do? do I need to replace the complete spider system out? Does anyone know where I can find one cheaper than dealer cost? see, the longer it takes to fix this POS the longer my lady will drive my BMW x5..I want my car back..lol anyhow, I put sea foam in the tank in hopes that the one injector will clear it self..

Old 08-01-2011, 09:41 AM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

It could be the spider. The poppets getting clogged is an issue they have had. You can find a good price on Amazon for a new one if needed.

Back to this distributor thing. When you insert the distributor the gear has to rotate slightly on the way in. If you don't account for this it will be one tooth off. So you actually have to start 1 tooth back and let it rotate as it goes in to get it correct.

You mentioned that you are TDC second mark. I'm not sure about the 97 but on my 2000 there are 2 marks and 2 notches and both have to be lined up. If you don't have both lined up, the timing is wrong. Also, simply having them lined up doesn't guarantee that you are on the right stroke either. You may have to pull the valve cover and check the valve positions to verify you are on the correct stroke.

You may also consider seeing if your local parts store has a loaner timing light too.

Last edited by pheaton; 08-01-2011 at 09:44 AM.
Old 08-01-2011, 10:57 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A timing light won't help on the EDI (96+ for sure, but some 95's have it as well) ignition system since the computer controls the timing and there isn't really a true TDC#1 mark/pointer. The distributor has to be installed per the instructions found in the thread linked to below:
EDI Engine Timing

I would definitely try the distributor first. You may be able to diagnose a clogged poppet nozzle by reading the plugs.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:59 AM

Thanks again for the responses...I am sure I got the timing right..i have full access to All Data Pro, and followed those instructions, which match the ones in the link for EDI Timing...How I found TDC...I screwed my compression tester line in #1 cyl. with out the gauge attached to it, I manually turned the crank clockwise holding my thumb over the end of the hose lightly until I started to get compression( yes, i'm sure it was compression, not suction) how i knew was I held the end of the hose up to my cheek, and yes I do have a some what long compression gauge tester hose..lol, I then turn the crank slowly until I saw the first indent mark, then kept going until I lined up the second mark..wha lah...I then followed the dist. line up procedure and after matching up the oil pump drive shaft, the dist went in easy and lined up perfectly..heres the funny thing..i know a little about mechanics, I have been fixing my own stuff for a very long time now..but I've been out of it for some time now, and I'm starting to second guess myself, and stsrting to wonder,,did i miss something, did I tighten this enough, did i crack a plug because this v6 is a bit of a tight fit...but I've checked and checked..after I finished the job, I went to strt it for the first time..assumed because it ran ok before, it should run great now..and it ran on like 2 cyl. after F&^KING with it and removing the plenum again and brake cleaned the injectors one by one, now it runs, but instead of mulitple misfire codes I only get the one #3 misfire code..dare I take it back apart and mess with #3 injector, shake it around, bang in on the intake and hope that fixes it, or cause others to malfuntion now..or just by a whole new setup? I hate to spend more money on this car, simce I'm thinking of selling it...beside the engine running deal, it's full power, good light blue paint, good interior ????? or trade it..who knows..

Old 08-02-2011, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would have yanked the spider out after the first go-around and replaced it. Cleaning the poppet nozzles only buys you an undetermined amount of time. They clogged up once and likely scored the nozzle up which will cause them to clog easier the next time. Save yourself the trouble and replace the spider with the updated MFI spider from AC Delco. You'll probably need the bracket as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I would have yanked the spider out after the first go-around and replaced it. Cleaning the poppet nozzles only buys you an undetermined amount of time. They clogged up once and likely scored the nozzle up which will cause them to clog easier the next time. Save yourself the trouble and replace the spider with the updated MFI spider from AC Delco. You'll probably need the bracket as well.
I installed the echlin (from napa) MFI complete set up in over the weekend, and the car drives ok, but the idle is rough..no engine codes are popping up..anyone have any idea as to why the idle would be rough? so far: new cap, rotor, wires, ac delco plugs, intake manifold gaskets, and complete MFI fuel injector assembly..

Last edited by x5er3.0; 08-08-2011 at 01:48 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake gasket issue