2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake manifold gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2014, 03:31 PM
Starting Member
01xtreme_chevy is on a distinguished road
Default Intake manifold gasket help

Ok, I got my intake manifolds off both upper and lower. It's got the infamous anti-freeze leak. Just got it all off and I am replacing all top side gaskets except for the heads. I do have a repair book by Haynes and its giving two different torque specs.
One says 35- ft lbs for lower...10-ft lbs for upper. But on the other hand it gives me a three step torque sequence for inch pounds. I'm confused on which one to go with as this is my first time doing this by myself. Help would be appreciated.
And for the record I am switching out fuel injector assembly for the upgraded one while I already have it out.
It is a 2001 Xtreme Blazer

Old 01-21-2014, 02:43 PM
bleoh is on a distinguished road

I think the 35 ft lbs is for the 96 and older. Your 2001 should be the 3 step inch pounds spec. I think the last step is equal to about 11 ft lbs.

Old 01-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road
Old 01-21-2014, 03:22 PM
Starting Member

Ok, thanks yall. The D-tips site was really helpful. The only thing that it doesn't show is how to remove the big wire harness from the fuse block on the driver side. All it says is to move it to the passenger side. Any tips on removing the harness?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:28 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Don't disconnect the harness, not necessary, just move it aside.

Lose the Haynes manual.... worthless, unless you need help with an oil change

This is straight out of the GM "dealer issue" shop manual for 1996 and newer 4.3L with CSFI:

Name:  IntakeManifold001-Copy.jpg
Views: 134
Size:  58.9 KB

Don't forget to check and adjust camshaft retard after you install the distributor, mandatory and part of the job.

Last edited by Captain Hook; 01-21-2014 at 04:33 PM.
Old 01-21-2014, 11:33 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

The Haynes manual is useful whenever you are in the wilderness and run out of toilet paper.
Next; You gotta be kidding, bend the crank line bore with about 11 lb torque on the intake manifold???

Old 01-22-2014, 08:46 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Don't disconnect the harness, not necessary, just move it aside.

Lose the Haynes manual.... worthless, unless you need help with an oil change

This is straight out of the GM "dealer issue" shop manual for 1996 and newer 4.3L with CSFI:

Don't forget to check and adjust camshaft retard after you install the distributor, mandatory and part of the job.

Ok, yea, the Haynes manual sucks. I'm sitin here scratching my head at some of the things it talks about in the book.
How do you check and adjust thecamshaft retard? I did mark the distributor on the housing and the manifold and block before I pulled it out. Never heard of doing the camshaft retard. I thought that the timing on these vortech could not be adjusted?

Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold gasket help-intakemanifold001-copy.jpg  

Last edited by 01xtreme_chevy; 01-22-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:14 AM
bleoh is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01xtreme_chevy
Ok, thanks yall. The D-tips site was really helpful. The only thing that it doesn't show is how to remove the big wire harness from the fuse block on the driver side. All it says is to move it to the passenger side. Any tips on removing the harness?
The harness is bolted on from the bottom and pulls apart. You have to unbolt the whole fuse box from the bracket to get to the bolt. You don't have to remove it, but I did just to get it out of the way.

Old 01-22-2014, 01:41 PM
Starting Member

I did forget to mention the Felpro gasket set that I had bought cam with the valve cover gaskets and grommets. Any ideas on how to install the new gaskets? I have pulled the old ones off, but the new ones I can't seem to get to stay on the valve cover while I attempt to put the cover back over the valves and what is the torque specs for the valve cover?

Last edited by 01xtreme_chevy; 01-22-2014 at 02:24 PM.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
scottl1346 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 01xtreme_chevy
I did forget to mention the Felpro gasket set that I had bought cam with the valve cover gaskets and grommets. Any ideas on how to install the new gaskets? I have pulled the old ones off, but the new ones I can't seem to get to stay on the valve cover while I attempt to put the cover back over the valves and what is the torque specs for the valve cover?
use a little high temp rtv to hold them on no idea on torque spec

Last edited by scottl1346; 01-22-2014 at 02:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold gasket help