2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake manifold gaskets

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2006, 10:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Intake manifold gaskets

Your '99 isn't the same. That is a CPI motor.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:19 AM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok thanks. What does CPI mean? I have seen the mentioned here a few times.
The other style must be similar to my 4.3 Monte Carlo, right?

Old 12-26-2006, 12:25 AM
Rammer is an unknown quantity at this point

There is only 8 bolts holding the lower intake to the heads. 2 in each corner around the coolant passages. That CPI motorin the post that you posted is different.
Here's the torque sequence.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

CPI == Central Port Injection

Your motor is an SCFI (Sequential Central Fuel Injection).

Rammer, that picture is of a v8 is it not... The v6 has the injector pack rotated 90* clockwise as compared with that picture. But yeah, the bolt locations still apply and it is that easy.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:32 AM

Yes it is swartlkk. I didn't notice that. I double checked and the sequence is the same. AllData must use the same pic for the 4.3 and the V8's.

Old 12-26-2006, 12:49 PM
frankjc is an unknown quantity at this point

So, just to clarify, my manifold is NOT like the one in those pics? I checked the profile (of the one from automotiveforums.com), and it seems that that one might be a 1995.
I didn't know that there were different ones.

Old 12-26-2006, 09:37 PM

YES, Those pics are NOT your style of manifold. If your still unsure, go buy the lower gaskets and you'll only find 4 holes in eachgasket for the intake manifold bolts to go through.

Old 12-27-2006, 04:10 AM
DINO55 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Frankjc
This is a pretty simple job, Time consuming, yes, but no real skill is involved. I just replaced them on my 98 Blazer two weeks ago. I followed these instructions below, with a few tricks I learned along the way. Mark every wire you remove. Place all bolts from each item that you remove in a ziplock bag, mark the bag with a marker where it belongs and put the wrench size on it. When you are ready to drop the manifold back down on the car, put (6)six Bic pen's the manifold block holes, 4 in the front and 2 on the rear drivers side. Have a friend help you line up the pens to the maching holes on the bottom of each side of the manifold and slowly lower the manifold straight down. Pull out one pen and thread in a bolt by hand. Torque your bolts down, put your truck back together, change the oil and enjoy. While I was doing mine I replaced the water pump, thermostat, All radiator, heater, and bypass hose's (Cheap Insurance)
GOOD LUCK.....

Takes a second for the pic's to load here...
http://d-tips.com/general/articles/C...Article13.aspx

Old 12-27-2006, 10:21 AM
Administrator

That is a great tip with the bic pens, DINO55! This will work on all of the engines where the intake bolts are straight up & down and will greatly help to ensure that you don't mess up the RTV sealant on the front and rear ledges of the lifter valley.

Old 12-27-2006, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

That was a great how to. Thanks for the link.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold gaskets