2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intake manifold leak. Mechanic says don't fix

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 08:29 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by joshn444
It's leaking in the front right in the center
It's leaking out of the front center of the LIM? I've not heard that one before. Though on the other hand, I am vastly under experienced when it comes to many others on this forum...so what I've heard and not heard is probably not worth a lot. It is right next to the coolant hose, so I maybe it would travel down that skinny little ledge to come out the middle. Just stirkes me as a little odd Are you sure it's not the water pump? Coolant ends up in some weird places when the pump is going, going, gone.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Joshn444, can you post a picture of where the leak is? What coolant are you using?

Old 02-12-2014, 10:35 PM
joshn444 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
Joshn444, can you post a picture of where the leak is? What coolant are you using?
Yeah I'll post a pic of it tomorrow and I think I originally had dexcool. (Whatever was refilled last time I had it flushed probably dex but by now it's probably just the stuff I've been adding peak n peak (I did the radiator last February and since it's been losing antifreeze)

Here's a pic

Attached Thumbnails Intake manifold leak. Mechanic says don't fix-image.jpg  

Last edited by joshn444; 02-13-2014 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2014, 04:04 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

The black stuff is RTV. In the center, it seals oil, not coolant. If you're seeing coolant there, it's probably travelling from one of the corners of the intake manifold where the coolant passages are, (Under the AC compressor, and behind/below the alternator).

Old 02-13-2014, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
The black stuff is RTV. In the center, it seals oil, not coolant. If you're seeing coolant there, it's probably travelling from one of the corners of the intake manifold where the coolant passages are, (Under the AC compressor, and behind/below the alternator).
Looked like it was coming from by the alternator. So RTV good bad? He told me it was to seal the leaks in the intake gasket I don't have any oil leaks (never did)

Old 02-13-2014, 05:00 PM

The RTV is supposed to be there. It seals the top of the block to the intake manifold between the cylinder heads. The RTV only seals oil, not coolant or vacuum. The actual intake gaskets go between the heads and the lower intake manifold.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM

Is RTV and additive? And what is leaking right there then? Does that mean RTV could be protecting the lifter valley?

Old 02-13-2014, 05:55 PM

RTV is a silicone sealant, comes in a tube. It keeps the oil in, and the dirt out, of the valve lifter, camshaft and balance shaft area, (valley).

Old 02-14-2014, 11:19 PM

Besides where the RTV/gasket is what is the wet spot around it then. I thought that was the intake manifold leak

Last edited by joshn444; 02-14-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:29 AM

It might me coolant travelling from where ever it's leaking from, or it could be oil. Lotta wind blowing around in there at 70mph making it difficult to tell where it's coming from.

Quick Reply: Intake manifold leak. Mechanic says don't fix