2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

intake/ timing issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 06:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you removed the coil and had it tested?

Old 03-29-2010, 06:07 AM
Beginning Member
fish4stripers is on a distinguished road

No, I called a couple of auto parts stores and they don't test them. Not sure where I could get it tested.

Do generator/alternator shops test them? Dealership if they did look at it would charge me more to test than a new one would cost most likely.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would remove it and inspect it. See if you can find cracks in the casing. If you can, replace it. The sparking around the terminal on the coil isn't good.

Old 03-29-2010, 07:49 PM
Beginning Member

Pouring rain here so can't do much. Went by parts store and he read my code. Cyl #1 misfire which is kinda what I saw when I pulled #1 wire and it didn't run worse. Would a coil effect only one cyl?

Could I have an injector or carbon issue with this code?

When I pulled the intake I was careful to try not to disturb anything while I cleaned the gasket surfaces but who knows maybe I got some debris in the #1 poppet? Just guessing.

About 2 years ago I replace the whole spider assy fyi.

Old 03-29-2010, 08:14 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Pull the #1 plug, reattach the wire and ground it in the engine bay while someone cranks it to see if you have spark. Smell the plug, visually check to see if there's unburned gas on it. When I did my intake gaskets, one poppet wasn't spraying. I pulled the electrical connector off of the coil and cranked a few times, then pulled all 6 plugs. One was completely dry while the rest were covered in gas. Try swapping the plug to a different cyl, then the wire to see if the misfire follows either of those parts.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 03-29-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:04 PM
Beginning Member

I narrowed it down to cyl #1. So I saw in a search about maybe bending a pin in the connector. I took off the big plug near the fuel lines and low and behold the right front pin was bent down. I was elighted I found my screwup. Bent pin back and put plug in straight down. Started it up and damn no change. Maybe I bent the pin so much it brok inside so no connection?

I replaced the spider 2 yrs ago and can't remember what the assy is like near the electrical plug. Is it possible to fix anything in there or do you need a whole assy if it's not working?

Anyway to take cover off, plug the electrical back in and hook up fuel lines to test if cylinders are getting fuel? If so, how?

Thanks, Jeff

Old 04-05-2010, 07:57 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yes, i believe there is already a thread on it somewhere...................

bottom of Kyle's sig, 96+ Fuel System Diagnosis.

hmmmm.......looked @ that closer, not convinced it's the one you want. i know it's not the one i was thinking of..............now where was it?...................

Last edited by old skool luvr; 04-05-2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:38 PM
Beginning Member
TireGrit is on a distinguished road

If #1 wire made no difference when pulled, then it sounds like that is where your problem lies. I would re-check to make sure that both ends are frimly snapped in tight to both the plug and the D-cap. Your trouble code will probably indicate a misfire in cylinder one if this is the case. I had the same problem and realized that in the mist of getting interrupted when I was changing my wires, I had inadvertantly forgot to pop the #5 wire on to the plug. I popped it back on and it resolved the problem and the misfire code that I had gotten as well.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:41 PM
midnightbluS10 can only hope to improve

Originally Posted by fish4stripers
I replaced the spider 2 yrs ago and can't remember what the assy is like near the electrical plug. Is it possible to fix anything in there or do you need a whole assy if it's not working?

Anyway to take cover off, plug the electrical back in and hook up fuel lines to test if cylinders are getting fuel? If so, how?

Thanks, Jeff
Look a few posts up. I've already explained it. You don't have to take anything apart to verify that all cyls are getting fuel. In case you missed it, here it is again.

Unplug electrical connector from coil. Crank a few times, then pull the plugs one at a time. They should be "wet" and smell of fuel. If one is dry and doesn't smell, that's the cyl that's not getting fuel. It worked flawlessly when I did it that way. Afterwards, I pulled the upper intake, reconnected the fuel lines and tested each poppet by letting it squirt into a plastic 20 oz bottle. Sure enough, the poppet in the cyl with the dry plug was not spraying.

Last edited by midnightbluS10; 04-05-2010 at 10:47 PM.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:16 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

yeah, i saw that.

but i was trying to find the thread i read where someone had removed the spider assembly, plugged it back in, and was checking the fuel spray pattern in a container (like a margirine container).

Quick Reply: intake/ timing issues