2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Interior rattles!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2009, 01:37 PM
Beginning Member
AsherHimself is on a distinguished road
Default Interior rattles!

Alright so I bought a 2dr 1995 blazer recently. In my city, the roads are bad, so the blazer is nice to have, other than everytime I hit the tiniest bump, it sounds like every single piece of plastic in my truck is gonna fall off. I've tried taking off the panels and clipping them back on but it's still horrible. Any tips? I was thinking maybe wedging rubber stoppers between where the plastic hits? *Also, the overhead unit with the garage door opener compartment rattles like crazy when I play my subs.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

On your door panels there are those stupid white clips that look like christmas trees...if they get worn out then the rattle on your door panels will be bad. I had the same problem with mine. You can pick up the clips at any dealership...with mine I have a buddy who works at the GM dealership by me and he just picked me up some for free...
This should help you with any door panel rattle. I'd try and narrow down any other rattles you notice..try to find out exactly what is rattling because I'm sure it's not every panel.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:12 PM
Beginning Member
AsherHimself is on a distinguished road

I think its the rear panels rather than the front door panels. Any ideas for those? Oh, and also the seatbelts.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:29 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I tore my whole interior out (everything) for one of my projects. Once it was done i put her all back together and was greeted by the sweet sound of creaky rubbing plastic. Instead of ice picking my ear holes, I just popped each offending joint appart, and put industrial strength Velcro ( the loop portion, the soft stuff) cut to fit on the parts that rubbed. No more squeaks. Now I just listen to the grinding/air moving through fluid sound i get each time I accelerate from a stop. Sadly cutting up velcro and putting it in all of my fluid has not helpped that problem... yet...

Old 06-09-2009, 08:13 AM
Beginning Member
jah963 is an unknown quantity at this point

That was a serious job you did with the bedliner!

Old 06-09-2009, 08:23 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

ABN I like the idea of doing that, seems like a lot of work though! haha. I have a few rattles in my truck, but I think with GM plastic it's near impossible not to have them. just about every GM vehicle I've been in has some sort of creak or rattle from plastic.
The worst rattle I have right now is my taillight being loose. I have the brush guards on the tail lights, and one is missing a screw which has losened up the tail light. Anytime I hit a bump it rattles pretty bad.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:12 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by jah963
That was a serious job you did with the bedliner!
Thanks. It was seriously a sonuvabitch, but thanks none the less

Sisk, it's less work than you think. Just pin point the offending joints and do 'em up. Same same AsherHimself.

Old 06-09-2009, 01:23 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

How hard is it to pop the rear-quarter panels off inside the truck? I've pin-pointed my worst interior squeak to the back plastic on the pass. side rear-quarter panel behind the seat. I'd love to get rid of that, then work on the one coming from the centre of my dash.

Old 06-09-2009, 02:00 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Oktain, if you're talking about the panels where the v wings are in the 2 door, it's a matter of removing the seatbelt (an alan wrench type thing) and the screw where the clothing hanger thing is (a phillips screwdriver). and then popping them out, did mine the other day as a matter of fact

Old 06-09-2009, 02:28 PM
BF Veteran

Its a t50 star wrench. S-Mart's top of the line. You can find this in the sporting goods department. That's right, this sweet baby was made in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Retails for about $109.95.
Sorry T50 start wrench... undo bottom bolt, undo top bolt of your seatbelt. Pull slowly with gradually increased pressure, or just jerk the crap out of one side until the plastic xmas tree like plastic comes out and your in business. push the seat blet through the large opening and you can pull the whole section out to work out of the truck. much easier. its about a 2 out of 10 on hard things to do to your truck. a 2 vs. a 1 because the star bolts are a bit of a pain to find the right sized tool.

Last edited by ABN31B; 06-09-2009 at 02:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Interior rattles!