2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent misfire P0305

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2018, 02:23 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Mltoys
I pulled off #5 wire from cap and the engine ran the same. Now its definately that cylinder and getting closer to being injector problem or not sure anymore.
Pull the plug again, recheck gap, look for cracked porcelain, make sure the wire is on fully( until it clicks, plug and cap) if you have another spark plug wire try that, exhaust all of the easy stuff first

Old 04-30-2018, 08:45 AM
Starting Member
Zenith is on a distinguished road

I pulled off #5 wire from cap and the engine ran the same. Now its definately that cylinder and getting closer to being injector problem or not sure anymore.
If you think its the injector on #5, pull the coil wire and try to start the vehicle, then immediately pull the #5 plug and see if its dry or wet with fuel.

Old 04-30-2018, 12:59 PM
Mltoys is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Zenith
If you think its the injector on #5, pull the coil wire and try to start the vehicle, then immediately pull the #5 plug and see if its dry or wet with fuel.
Thats a good idea, thanks

Old 05-01-2018, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

The misfire counter detects a momentary change in the crank rotation and attempts assigns it to the closest cylinder in the rotation. As Lemyer points out since the computer can sometimes guess wrong, its important to verify which cylinder it is. Next, consider that anything that causes a change in crank velocity can be the cause not just spark. It can also be fuel or compression for instance. Do I understand you correctly that you performed a drop cylinder test on 5 and there was no change in engine idle? Does that plug have 1" of strong blue spark at the plug end of the wire with a properly grounded spark tester?

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 05-07-2018 at 05:47 AM.
Old 05-03-2018, 06:35 PM

I pulled the wire and there was no change in idle. I faced the boot toward the frame and there was only a spark when I pushed the boot tight against it, so I replaced it with a brand new wire.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:28 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I pulled the wire and there was no change in idle. I faced the boot toward the frame and there was only a spark when I pushed the boot tight against it, so I replaced it with a brand new wire.
And it worked?

Old 05-03-2018, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by newguy
And it worked?
Nope, misfire stayed. Gettin ready for a carbaque

Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

get a properly grounded spark tester on the end of that wire ans see if you get 1" of strong blue spark. Then replace the wire and check it at the cap with a properly grounded spark tester.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 05-07-2018 at 05:49 AM.
Old 05-05-2018, 05:57 AM

I will try that and let you know what it does.

Old 05-06-2018, 03:02 PM

Ok, pulled the wire from plug and used my spark tester to arc to plug. Has good spark, i got jolted once and glad my defribulator didnt misfire.

then i did the unhook coil and crank it over. The plug was dry. I even put it back in and started the engine for a minute and still a dry plug.

ughhhhhhh

Quick Reply: Intermittent misfire P0305