2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Intermittent misfire P0305

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2018, 07:02 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

Have you done a compression check and a fuel pressure leAk down test?

Also, do you have an ODBII reader that can display live data? If you have an Injector that gets clogged during misfires that bank will go lean.

Sounds like further spark testing is a bad idea given your pacemaker. Let's try and get your truck fix and keep you safe.

Old 05-07-2018, 10:09 AM
Mltoys is on a distinguished road

Just want to make sure I dont get anyone mad or upset with me questioning advice its more of an I dont know thing.
On that note can you explain how compression will affect no fuel entering cylinder and also if a fuel leak down would make the one cylinder not get fuel ?

Before being on disability I was able to take my cars places to be fixed when it was something like this, now due to the little bit you get from social security I have to try and do it all in my driveway little by little each month.

You guys are all great with the help and suggestions I get on here and want to
Thank You for that.

Old 05-07-2018, 11:11 AM
BF Veteran

Just trying to narrow down and confirm your problem without getting into expensive and complicated work. If your suspicion is a cracked distr cap then that guess does not cost much and is easy to do but the injectors are more involved.

If the plug looks dry then there is a possibility of a plugged injector but since you don't pull plugs and compare them for a living its a start but I would hate to see you replace the spider based soley on that so there are other things to check. Forums are filled with "I replaced this and that so far and still have not fixed the problem", or the replacement failed or was bad from the start. If you had the results of the fuel pressure/leak down test and they were marginal then it would point to a fuel system problem. If you had done a compression test recently then that could rule out another source of a misfire. The fuel trims will help tell you if a bank suddenly get less fuel due to a clogged injector and is easy and non invasive. The ultimate test to confirm a clogged injector is an ignition probe, you can see it on the waveform. This is unfortunately out of reach for all but the best shops.

If you have or suspect a clogged injector then you can run some high quality cleaner through the fuel tank or do a cleaner injection at the schrader port. You can also pull a few more plugs after you create a no ignition scenario to compare. If you do decide to replace the spider then there is an upgrade to consider.

Ask as many questions as you like and keep learning. Then do what is right for you, I for one won't be insulted if you don't follow my advise or question my approach.

George

Last edited by GeorgeLG; 05-07-2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old 05-07-2018, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by GeorgeLG
If you have or suspect a clogged injector then you can run some high quality cleaner through the fuel tank or do a cleaner injection at the schrader port. You can also pull a few more plugs after you create a no ignition scenario to compare. If you do decide to replace the spider then there is an upgrade to consider.

George
Thank you George, I was going to inquire about the schrader and if and how it is done. You beat me to mentioning it.

Would Seafoam maybe help to run a can in the tank ?

Old 05-07-2018, 07:30 PM
BF Veteran

Seafoam is popular here as a fuel tank additive. Another highly rated additive is Techron. A professional level cleaning involves forcing full strength additive under regulated pressure into the schrader port on the fuel rail. You would need a compressed air source, the injection canister and the appropriate cleaner.

George
​​​​​​​

Old 05-09-2018, 06:11 PM

Well I put about 3/4 of a can of seafoam in the tank, will have to see what happens.
I read that its good and also bad to put into vaccum line like the pcv so not really sure about doing it.

I will be back with update.

Old 05-14-2018, 10:36 AM

No change at all. Put the rest of can thru pcv line and barely got smoke after 2 hours of sitting.
Whats left, bad valve...bad lifter....or spider