2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

It's My Turn Blazer Stalling

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2023, 08:00 PM
Beginning Member
gojimmygo111 is on a distinguished road
Default It's My Turn Blazer Stalling

Hello all.
I have a 2005 Blazer, 2 door I picked up a few months ago. It has 127000 km on it and has kept me busy in repairs. Today after driving for about 1 hour it stalled and 60 km/hour during normal acceleration. I pulled over. Check under the hood for gremlins. Waited 1 minute and it started like nothing was wrong. Drove for another 2 minutes and it stalled again. Everything looks normal. No leaks. New fuel filter a month ago. The truck runs great and idles perfect. As what I would expect with such low mileage. The only out of ordinary is the humming sound from the fuel pump that has got progressively louder. I can hear the whining at the stop light. After reading posts from this site, i have been filling up the tank at the 3/4 mark for over a month hoping to keep the fuel pump cool. It seems this has happened to many owners before so before I go purchase a pump around 360.00 plus tax nowadays for the Delphi Fg0286 pump, or the ac Delco pump from GM, which is now discontinued but some dealers in USA still have stock for about $920.00 Canadian dollars.😔 What steps should I go through to ensure it's the pump so not to throw parts at her? I have limited tools and knowledge, but with directions I can do it. Thanks to all who reply.

Old 04-11-2023, 08:33 PM
BF Veteran
GeorgeLG will become famous soon enough

If you want confirmation that its fuel pressure then you will need to monitor fuel pressure while driving to see if it drops when the truck dies. Some tape a gauge to the windshield and then go for a drive. There are also some smartphone pressure transducers that work with a phone app.

George

Old 04-11-2023, 09:58 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for that. Where do I safely splice in to the fuel line with the gauge and adapter?on the line coming from the tank? I will look at some threads on the forum.

Old 04-11-2023, 10:50 PM
BF Veteran

There is a schrader access port at the top of the engine.

George

Old 04-12-2023, 01:01 PM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

You will want to have the fuel tank as empty as you can before you tackle the fuel pump replacement. An almost empty fuel tank is so much easier to handle.
One thing you might find ahead of time is a replacement filler hose. I could not get the hose to come off when I did this repair; ended-up cutting the hose, which of course had to be replaced. Finding a replacement hose took awhile.
Something to think about.

Old 04-12-2023, 04:55 PM
Beginning Member

The truck only seems to stall out after about 25 minutes of driving. It's starting to get hot outside. I wonder if that's a factor? But after turning off the key. And waiting 1 minute, it starts right back up and runs and idles fine for about 5 minutes of driving where it stalls again.

IS it possible to install new pump without totally dropping the tank? Is there any play in the filler hose so not to take if off?

Old 04-12-2023, 05:35 PM
BF Veteran

I have seen some guys cut an access hole in the floor over the pump location but you have to be careful with sparks and exact location.

George

Old 04-12-2023, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

I meant dropping tank half way. If it must be dropped fully then so be it. Patience is a virtue I guess in this fix. I hope the fuel pump fixes the issue.

Old 04-12-2023, 10:48 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by gojimmygo111
I meant dropping tank half way. If it must be dropped fully then so be it. Patience is a virtue I guess in this fix. I hope the fuel pump fixes the issue.
That I don't know. There is a clearance issue pulling the fuel pump assembly up and out of the hole. Maybe someone else can comment on if this can be done without bringing the tank all the way down. I dropped mine which also gives you the ability to inspect the tank and clean it out if necessary.

George

Old 04-13-2023, 06:12 AM
Beginning Member

Good point. Thanks George.

Quick Reply: It's My Turn Blazer Stalling