2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

jerky stopping

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2008, 03:34 PM
Starting Member
Kage0113 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default jerky stopping

When i slow down and push the brakes it jerks like it would if you were pumping them. They dont squeak but its getting on my nerves. Its a 96 blazer 4x4 and i've looked and there is plenty of fluid. Any ideas? Maybe the system needs bled?

Old 09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: jerky stopping

The brake rotors are more than likely warped !! Get them cut or just do a complete brake job..

Old 09-30-2008, 04:01 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

x2!

Old 09-30-2008, 06:31 PM
Starting Member

Is that hard to do? How serious is it I get them fixed? How much does it cost?

Old 09-30-2008, 09:09 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Unless the shop you take it to rips you off, to just cut the rotors, if they charge you more than say 50$ walk away... Normally if you take the rotors off the veh and bring them to an auto place that cuts rotors its normally 20$ each rotor, if your not able to do that yourself and you take it to a repair shop their prob gonna want to do the complete brake job to get the extra $ outta ya..even if the pads are good... Most times if you take a course enuff piece of sandpaper not too course of course and you put the paper on a flat board and run the pads back and forth a few times you can clean the pads for replacement.. you`ll also be able to tell if the pads are glazed that way, when they start to have a whitish look from sanding then their good to go.. check for cracks in the pads they usually start at the rivet areas, the most weakest spot on the pad.. Good luck and make sure ya let us know what the outcome is..

Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
Starting Member

Well I looked at my rotors today and here's the scoop. The passenger one moves smoothly when i turn it forwards and backwards. The driver side one, on the other hand, moves somewhat smooth forward, but when I spin it the other way it makes a squeaking sound. It sometimes does it going forward too. So I think i will just get 2 new rotors. New problem, when I brake it feels like my back tires are locking up, is that going to have something to do with the front rotors? Oh, and what is a good brand rotor to buy. I know Kyle answered it but I cant find the post that says what kind. Thanks for the help

Old 10-15-2008, 01:29 PM
Starting Member

Anyone?

Old 10-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Your assessment of how it "moves" really does not tell us much. You can either get a dial indicator and check the run out on the rotors or just replace them. Chances are, one or more of the rotors is warped and is what is causing your problem.

Old 10-15-2008, 04:57 PM
blazerboy124 is an unknown quantity at this point

had the same problem, did the same things youre trying, do your self a favor to same some time, get them cut or go buy new ones, theyre DEFINATLY warped from what i read.

Old 10-20-2008, 03:44 PM
Starting Member

Update. I replaced my front rotors with rebestos or however they are spelled. I got the aimco which i think are the mid grade. So far so good. It's a lot smoother. How often do the drums need replaced and how does that work? The stuff up front is pretty simply but it looks a little more complicated in back. Any info?

Quick Reply: jerky stopping