2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Jimmy stopped starting!

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 06:15 PM
Beginning Member
rockrodent is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Jimmy stopped starting!

Hey, I was just hoping to maybe get some input on a problem I'm having.
My 2003 GMC Jimmy stopped starting. I had a small problem a month or two ago when my Jimmy wouldn't start for a few cranks but eventually would fire up. I chalked it up to bad gas or something, but I noticed that sometimes when I was starting it would fire then die, then start again normally. Then today it fired a bit, then refused to start. It almost looks like it's not getting fuel, but I definitely get a bit of a gas smell after cranking it and giving it a little gas after a while. My battery is almost brand new, and I ripped off the air intake and filter to see if it was an airflow problem. Hopefully someone has had a similar progressive problem like this. I can fix most things if I know what Im looking for, but evidently I'm horrible with diagnosis.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Is your security light coming on at all through all of this?

Have you performed a fuel pressure test as defined in the Tech Article (DIY) section?

Old 07-28-2010, 08:27 PM
Beginning Member

No, the security light is only coming on when it's supposed to (or, when it always has before this) IT doesnt come on if the key is in the ignition.
I'll try the fuel pressure test to be sure. In my desperation I took the cap off of the connector for the pressure guage and crank the engine once to see if any fuel made it out, would that happen in any case?

Old 07-28-2010, 09:19 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need a gauge. There is a valve under the cap so fuel should not escape. Connect the gauge and see what the pressure is.

Old 07-29-2010, 09:32 PM
Beginning Member

New symptoms. First off, I haven't done the fuel pressure test yet as I dont get any money to buy the guage until tomorrow, but I may have rendered that test moot for the moment. I was playing with it today and it ignites starting fluid, so I assumed I had air and spark. I pulled the fuel filter and there was some fuel in the lines but no pressure. I replaced the filter on a whim (it seemed kind of clogged anyways) Tried starting for another while, then unhooked the fuel filter, and there was no fuel in the lines, still bone dry. I think this narrows it down to the fuel pump? Is there any other part I'm not thinking of that would cause a progessively worse problem with these symptoms?

Old 07-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Beginning Member

Well, if anyone was riveted by this saga, it was, in fact, the fuel pump. I just replaced it over a couple hours and a lot of swearing, now it runs like a dream.