2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just bought my 1st blazer. Crapload of problems I could use help with

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:42 AM
Beginning Member
spaceapex is on a distinguished road

So I unplugged the MAF and the truck runs perfect!!?? Plug it back in and it runs for about 20 minutes then starts bogging again. Anyone ever just run without it? Or is that really going to kill my milage? Any special way to clean it?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:51 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You can run with it disconnected. You should expect your mileage to suffer compared to what it would run like with a properly functioning MAF sensor, but it will run.

As far as cleaning it goes, that is a topic that has been covered. The tech article is currently MIA, but there are plenty of other posts about it in the forums.

Old 01-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member

I have been searching. Found alot of people talking about cleaning it but no actual procedure. Just blast it with brake cleaner?

Old 01-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Beginning Member

Cleaned carbon like crap off with q tip and brake cleaner. So far so good. Still have check engine light though. Can I clear by unhooking battery or do I need to borrow scanner again?Thanks for all the info guys. Any shortcuts to doing heater core? Cutting anything save time?Not that I am lazy just busy and no heat in garage yet.

Old 01-04-2010, 02:05 PM
Starting Member
jacobcnc is on a distinguished road

You can go to autozone, advance, oriellys who ever you preffer and have the codes erased or you could just pull fuse #9 and #10 for bout half hour or so. As for the heater core Ive been pretty luck on that one and have not had to touch it yet.

Old 01-04-2010, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member

So what else should I do right away to avoid problems? Things I should clean, replace, inspect? Need this puppy to last. Any simple cheap performance mods?

Old 01-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Beginning Member

I finally found time to do a tune up. It wasn't to bad getting the plugs out. Just that pesky #3 but I managed to get it out with a slightly modified ratchet extension. WOW were those plugs shot! Dry as a bone though. I don't know how they were even firing they were so degraded.Runs like a beast now. On to the next problem. Fuel tanks leaking from top somewhere. Ahhhh

Old 01-15-2010, 03:49 PM
Beginning Member

three days after giving it a tune up my trans started slamming into 2nd gear? I have 3 codes now instead of one..p0420.p0446..p2870.... Can all this be related or is my tranny going now too? I can also hear a new sound coming from the #3 spark plug area... sounds like air exscaping when it fires but don't see anything. Man did I buy a lemon. Windshield cracked all the way across 1st time it iced over too. HAHAHAHAHAHAH help.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:59 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

P2870 is not a valid OBD2 code. P1870 is a valid transmission code and it is documented in the DTC section of the Tech Article (DIY) section. Here are the links to the DTC sheets for the three codes you have listed:
P0420 - Catalyst System Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)
P0446 - Evaporative Emission Control System Vent Control Circuit
P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

Old 01-18-2010, 02:51 PM
Beginning Member

Anyone know where to get a dome light for an 97 blazer?? no one lists a part # and I dont have the old one to see what it looks like...not a regular bulb by the look of the socket... Dealership?

Quick Reply: Just bought my 1st blazer. Crapload of problems I could use help with