2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

just bought my 99 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 11:53 AM
Ray7BLAZER-D is on a distinguished road
Default just bought my 99 4x4

Hey guys I actually just found my blazer about a week ago I bought it for $1000 It has 188XXX on it I was sceptical about it but so far its been good other than its slightly overheating? I've flushed the radiator and changed the thermostat already so guess I'll be changing the water pump this weekend... I think the problem is that it belonged to an old couple and they really never drove it much so all that gunk is still in there hopefully after changing the pump it will stop. I figured since I'm removing all that crap I'm gonna go ahead and switch over to electric fans as well. I also just ordered a hypertec for it because 13-14 MPG isnt really going to do it for me lol! I'm use to my nissan 200sx getting about 30 MPG so its a very drastic change. Im going to see what all I can do to fix her up the body is in top shape the shocks are a bit flouty so I'll have to swap them out soon again Im use to different , a tighter suspension is one lol! after that a CAI and we'll see after that. I'm still trying to do my engine swap in my nissan and only bought this to get me around in the meanwhile but my addiction is coming over to this vehilce haha! I use to have a 94 4.3 and loved it, but this 4x4 is a bit much. I might just fix it a bit untill I get my car runing and sell it?

Old 06-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you haven't already changed the radiator cap, do so now. A weak cap can cause an otherwise functioning system to overheat due to low cooling system pressure. The lower the pressure in the system, the lower the boiling point of the coolant becomes.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 PM

I did'nt think of that! Thanks bro. Well things I did today were seafoamed the intake, cleaned out the throttle body with carb cleaner it was horrible!and changed my fuel filter...oh and the person before me took it to the beach cause I washed out a crap load of sand! dumb people! headed to autozone to get me a radiator cap!

Old 06-16-2011, 09:10 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

Hah... I so read that as "took it to the bleach" and couldn't understand what the heck was being said. I so fail at reading.

Good luck with the radiator cap, hopefully it helps. What kind of mileage are you looking for? I doubt you'll get 30 MPG but 16/18 city isn't too unreasonable. Perhaps even 20 if you baby it enough.

Something to help with mileage can be a vacuum gauge. I forget the details (so hopefully someone else chimes in) but it'll essentially tell you how hard you're using the engine. The easier you are on it, the better gas mileage you are. Just takes some concentration.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
Hah... I so read that as "took it to the bleach" and couldn't understand what the heck was being said. I so fail at reading.

Good luck with the radiator cap, hopefully it helps. What kind of mileage are you looking for? I doubt you'll get 30 MPG but 16/18 city isn't too unreasonable. Perhaps even 20 if you baby it enough.

Something to help with mileage can be a vacuum gauge. I forget the details (so hopefully someone else chimes in) but it'll essentially tell you how hard you're using the engine. The easier you are on it, the better gas mileage you are. Just takes some concentration.
LOL! at the bleach... and yea I know 30 isnt what I'm going for just something better than 13 haha. hopefully all the upgrades will help, and yea Ive been trying to coast everywhere to save gas but I'll keep everyone updated on how it goes I'm trackin gmy mileage on my phone so I should know what I'm getting soon.

Old 06-20-2011, 09:49 AM

Well looks as if the radiator cap fixed the overheating problem!? It seems to be staying right below 210 is this a normal temp for the blazer? I'll be ordering a CAI soon to help it drop some and hopefully improve some more on MPG... my tuner should be in this week, pretty stoked on that!

Old 06-20-2011, 09:53 AM

Right below 210 on the gauge is where mine sits now, so you should be fine. Congrats on the cheap fix!

Old 06-23-2011, 10:23 AM

My tuner came in. I checked my MPG with my Car Care app on my phone and I was getting 15MPG in town/hwy so we will see what the tuner does for it? I also got in my E-fans this week but havent had the chance to put them on hopefully this will help the cooling system along with any strain on the engine cause by the clutch fan. Depending on funds I should be able to get a CAI this weekend and looking at repainting the frame black to get rid of the surface rust.
What are all the options on your guys tuners? mine really only has trans. options like firmer shifts and such everything else seemed irrelavent for mine.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:25 AM

From what I remember when Trucks! (tv show) did the electric fan swap on a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, they gained about 1 MPG on that swap alone. That's a worthwhile mod, in my eyes.

Old 06-23-2011, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by TheRandom1
From what I remember when Trucks! (tv show) did the electric fan swap on a Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, they gained about 1 MPG on that swap alone. That's a worthwhile mod, in my eyes.
heck yea that is! I'm just trying to do anything I can to save in the long run.

Quick Reply: just bought my 99 4x4