2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just a quick rundown of some issues...

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 03:36 PM
Beginning Member
SomeSingerDrew is on a distinguished road
Default Just a quick rundown of some issues...

Hoping some of these may be quick/easy fixes...Or at least easily diagnosed.

So far I've got...

Coolant smell (Im certain it's the heater core.... how big of a project is it to replace on my own?)

My gas mileage recently dropped from 18-19 to 15ish... Thought the horrible alignment was causing it, but got it aligned and still bad.

(Are the previous and next one related maybe?)

Clicking/rattling sound from the front (sounds like drivers side wheel area?) when accelerating from slow/stopped. Only sometimes, not always. Sounds like something isn't 'engaging' right away...(Wondering if my hubs are staying locked? How to check?)

Rear wiper works, but doesn't spray...Anyone know off hand common problems with this?

This is my baby here so I want to get her all fixed up nicely (especially since the bank still owns her for a few more years...)

--Drew

Old 02-20-2010, 03:54 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by SomeSingerDrew
Hoping some of these may be quick/easy fixes...Or at least easily diagnosed.

So far I've got...

Coolant smell (Im certain it's the heater core.... how big of a project is it to replace on my own?)

My gas mileage recently dropped from 18-19 to 15ish... Thought the horrible alignment was causing it, but got it aligned and still bad.

(Are the previous and next one related maybe?)

Clicking/rattling sound from the front (sounds like drivers side wheel area?) when accelerating from slow/stopped. Only sometimes, not always. Sounds like something isn't 'engaging' right away...(Wondering if my hubs are staying locked? How to check?)

Rear wiper works, but doesn't spray...Anyone know off hand common problems with this?

This is my baby here so I want to get her all fixed up nicely (especially since the bank still owns her for a few more years...)

--Drew

heater core is a huge project. requiring removing the entire dash. plenty of time to remove. cost alot to have a shop do it. your noise could just be a bad wheel bearing(very common on these trucks)

my rear wiper doesn't spray either instead it sprays on the inside of the truck. if you remove the headliner there should be a hose going to a rear. possibly kinked or plugged.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks...Wheel bearing doesn't sound bad, but wouldn't the noise happen all the time? And would that cause the crappy mileage?

and thanks for the hint with the sprayer...At least I don't get wet when I hit the button

How likely am I to screw something up by taking out the dash? I don't mind the time, I just don't want to have to go crawling to my mechanic half way through...

Old 02-20-2010, 04:31 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

i'd recommend getting a haynes manual , it'll give you step by step instructions. could be a balljoint to. you need to jack the car up and check tire movement side to side. grab 12 and 6 and push in and pull out. if you have movement its a wheel bearing

Old 02-20-2010, 05:30 PM
Starting Member
1997 red blazer is on a distinguished road

Question, Does your Blazer have an aftermarket radio in it? If so make sure you have a VERY good Ground wire from the radio to a good Metal Body ground. If Not what happens is Electrolysis and it will cut a Small pin-hole in the heater core making it LEAK. You put the New core in and the samething will happen. I see a lot of heater Cores replaced just because of this SIMPLE ground. Hope this Helps? U.S. Army Retired.
Scouts Out Recon. Good Luck T.J.

Last edited by 1997 red blazer; 02-20-2010 at 06:15 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:42 PM
frankenstein is on a distinguished road

far as the rear wiper spray goes, i today discovered a big wet spot in my cargo area. it turns out that that the wiper hose and right angle connector located under carpet in rear disconnected causing wiper fluid to leak out for maybe a few months when it 1st stopped working. i had mistakenly assumed the line was frozen and did nothing about it.

my fix: pull off all the rear trim around the hatch, screw out tiedowns,cut out wet carpet and insulation to dry out. dry out floor and wiring strip where hose is at. i then reconnected hose and secured with ziptie as i had done years prior when hose disconnected from top of rear hatch. when my carpet drys up i will put it back in with a little contact cement and put another aftermarket cargo floormat on top of that. i believe it separated over time from dragging really heavy stuff in and out of it.

for others if there is no detectable leak, you can access it by simply removing bottom trim and lifting up carpet to check and repair.

Old 02-21-2010, 07:37 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 1997 red blazer
Question, Does your Blazer have an aftermarket radio in it? If so make sure you have a VERY good Ground wire from the radio to a good Metal Body ground. If Not what happens is Electrolysis and it will cut a Small pin-hole in the heater core making it LEAK. You put the New core in and the samething will happen. I see a lot of heater Cores replaced just because of this SIMPLE ground. Hope this Helps? U.S. Army Retired.
Scouts Out Recon. Good Luck T.J.
I dont have an aftermarket radio, but thanks. My radiator basically rusted out not long ago so Ifigure its the same problem with the heater core...yay

Originally Posted by frankenstein
far as the rear wiper spray goes, i today discovered a big wet spot in my cargo area. it turns out that that the wiper hose and right angle connector located under carpet in rear disconnected causing wiper fluid to leak out for maybe a few months when it 1st stopped working. i had mistakenly assumed the line was frozen and did nothing about it.

my fix: pull off all the rear trim around the hatch, screw out tiedowns,cut out wet carpet and insulation to dry out. dry out floor and wiring strip where hose is at. i then reconnected hose and secured with ziptie as i had done years prior when hose disconnected from top of rear hatch. when my carpet drys up i will put it back in with a little contact cement and put another aftermarket cargo floormat on top of that. i believe it separated over time from dragging really heavy stuff in and out of it.

for others if there is no detectable leak, you can access it by simply removing bottom trim and lifting up carpet to check and repair.
So is it under the carpet or above the headliner? Cos I've heard conflicting stories now...?

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-21-2010 at 03:57 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-23-2010, 09:05 PM
frankenstein is on a distinguished road

both places actually. the 1st one is under the carpet in rear drivers side. the 2nd connection for hose is underneath top hatch trim near passenger side. gently pry up the trim to get to both. be careful with top trim as it is connected to the hatch light. you can disconnect the wire holding it to make the job easier should that be where the problem is. i had hose disconnect on both places years apart. good luck.