2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just replaced alternator and it tried to die on me 02 Blazer LS 4dr 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:27 PM
Beginning Member
Jetpack_Ahoy is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Just replaced alternator and it tried to die on me 02 Blazer LS 4dr 4x4

So I just replaced the alternator, and when I started her up she started and idled fine, but after a few minutes I revved her up to about 3.5k for a few seconds then let off the gas. When I let off of it the rpms dropped down past the idle and tried to die. All of my lights dimmed and it felt rough, but then the rpms went back to normal. help?

Old 03-28-2012, 11:09 PM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Sounds normal - Your engine management computer has to relearn parameters

Old 03-29-2012, 05:41 AM
Starting Member
Melrock83 is on a distinguished road

Mine did the same thing just a couple wks ago, and I had just replaced my alternator and battery at the same time. After a good three or four days, once things got reset I guess u would say, it was fine. so dont go replacing ne thing for a minute LOL give it time to accept its new transplanted part

Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with everyone else, I don't think it really is a problem as it can happen even to well running vehicles.

If you really feel the need to do something about it, you could clean the throttle body including the IAC bore & valve. A dirty IAC valve can stick and not allow the truck to return to the proper idle setting fast enough which could cause the engine to almost stall when coming down from elevated RPMs.

Old 03-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, she hasn't died on me yet. However, it now wants to idle at 500 rpms, and is really slow to accelrate almost like it doesn't want the gas.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:31 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Aha! That is a related problem! Remove your idle air control and clean it. If it started that right afterward, it jammed shut. Intake or choke cleaner, but for the latter be careful not to get it in the electrical part.
BTW: also buy some MAF cleaner and do it as well.

Old 03-29-2012, 08:34 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

lemme ask .... ould you say its ok to spin the little screw on the throttle body to hold a slightly higher idle... my neighbor did it in my truck because it was stalling at idle and he said its a good way to hide booboos lol... but i rolled it back down and now im feelin a rocky idle again.. should i tweak it back up?

Old 03-29-2012, 08:48 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

It needs to be set back to where the factory put it for several reasons.. not the least of which is shift timing.
But after the truck is otherwise running right.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:14 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help and I will get back with the results. Back on the alternator side though, my headlights are still really dim, and the odometer and gear panel still sorta pulsate when the radio is on or I am at a stop. Do I just need to give it more time?

Old 03-30-2012, 01:27 AM
onebadsuv is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Jetpack_Ahoy
Thanks for the help and I will get back with the results. Back on the alternator side though, my headlights are still really dim, and the odometer and gear panel still sorta pulsate when the radio is on or I am at a stop. Do I just need to give it more time?

... pulsate and dim is not normal - is that alternator You got rebuilt or aftermarket ? You need to pull it and have it tested to verify 14 volt regulated output .

Quick Reply: Just replaced alternator and it tried to die on me 02 Blazer LS 4dr 4x4