2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just testing the waters for V8 swap.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2009, 11:01 PM
Beginning Member
pnice74 is on a distinguished road
Default Just testing the waters for V8 swap.

Ok, I have a 99 2dr 4wd Blazer 4.3 Vortec thats clocked at 145k, but was said to have the engine rebuilt 35k ago. It's going to need a new A/C system. And lately when I come to a stop I hear either lifters ticking, or pistons slapping at 500 rpms. Just the slightest bit of gas 600 rpms and the noise goes away. But before I dump some serious money into this thing I just wanted to see if I had this option.

I have a 96 4dr 4wd Tahoe sitting on the side of the house with a rebuilt 5.7 Vortec with less than 10k on the motor(for sure) and a brand new A/C system. The motor sounds great! And the dual flows just make it sound better!!

How hard would it be to swap? And by hard I mean how much money will I be looking at if the shop did it? I figure not many parts would be needed since I have a complete running Tahoe that needs nothing.

The Blazer is super clean inside and out, while the Tahoe has seen better days. I've always wanted a 2dr Blazer and now that I have one I put the Tahoe to the side. Can the Tahoe bring the blazer to life? Before I drop 5-600 bucks on the A/C system for the Blazer,Have the lifters/valves looked at, or even worse, piston slapping, I'm just wondering how deep in my pockets i have to reach. Any and all Info will be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Old 06-22-2009, 11:03 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

this topic has literaly been discussed hundreds of times just run a search and youll come up with more than enough info.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:01 AM
Beginning Member

I have searched, and searched. I have found threads that died off. Other threads with smart *** comments like "if you have to ask, probabaly too much" Wonder who that was. lol j/k. Been to s10forum. Actually a member over there to since I have a mini. But every situation is different. Here I have a complete donor in perfect running condition!! I wouldn't care if they stripped the Tahoe completely for whatever is needed. I have gotton lost in threads. Some say around 1500, others say 3000. Been reading up on it though! Thanks for telling my about that search thing!!! If anyone ELSE has any information it would be greatly aprreciated!!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:06 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

The swap should be fairly straight forward and simple seeing as you have the parts. A 350 will bolt up to the Blazer but you'll need a bigger/better transmission.

I'm not positive on this but I think the computer systems might be a little different so I'm not sure how that could play out.. I'm sure Kyle or someone very knowledgeable will be along shortly to help!

Old 06-23-2009, 12:08 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

as long as the tranny in his 99 is in good running order itll work just fine

Old 06-23-2009, 12:11 AM

I wasnt positive if it was strong enough seeing as how it's geared for a 262 and all its torque

Old 06-23-2009, 12:18 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Has any one mentioned that JTR (Jags that run) has a s10 V8 Engine swap manual that covers all aspects of a V8 swap into an S10. You can read sample chapters on their web site and I think you can probaly find the manaul on ebay. If it was me I would purchase the manual and review it thourghly and then decide if it is something I would want to tackle or have a shop do the job. Since you have a donor vehical your costs would be in the labor and any items needed for the swap plus any modifications needed to the blazer.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:29 AM
Beginning Member

Been to JTR. So many posts lead me to there. I have found that in 1st gen the reading is quite informative. But it seems like for the 2cnd Gen it gets kinda blah, blah, blah. and I find myself reading more about 1st Gen swaps just for the knowledge. Seems like 1st Generationers actually complete the swap (witch sounds like there is more involved) and 2cnd Gens just seem to give up on the idea or something. IDK

Old 06-23-2009, 12:38 AM

Well, 2nd gen swaps generally cost more as people don't usually have a complete donor car like you. Also, most people don't find it worth the time and just buy something with a v8 or swap for another 4.3..

Old 06-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Beginning Member

I've wanted a 2dr Blazer for ever!! I love the way they look. I finely got a clean one and I have alot of plans for it. I'm going to keep it for a while. Drive it at stock hight. But in the end it will be lowerd. I don't plan on buying something else for a while. And I really think the 5.7 in the blazer would be quite nice. Yes it's true, not many people have a complete donor in perfect condition. This is why I asked how much it would cost for me to do this. If someone would say That I wouldn't really need any parts to do this, I would invite the father-in-law up for a week for the operation Or Drive both vehicles to the shop and drop them off.

Quick Reply: Just testing the waters for V8 swap.